• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ginoguarnere

ginoguarnere

Runnin' like an animal.

• Guarnere Family and Staff
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

Kind of cool, and one of those "Guarnere" stories that no one else can know unless we tell them...

My wife and I were watching the companion episode of “Band of Brothers,” entitled “We Stand Alone Together.” Well, my grandfather is featured quite a bit in that episode, and my daughter, who just turned 2, has never seen it. Anyway, she was playing with her toys in the vicinity when she must have recognized my grandfather’s voice emanating from the television. She wandered over, pointed to the screen and said “grandpop” in her little voice. She watched for a moment, and then moved on. That she recognized him onscreen, and especially in that context reminded me of how proud I am of the entire Guarnere family, and I was also reminded that had it not been for my grandfather, I wouldn’t be here today.

On this Veteran’s Day, Thanks, “Grandpop,” for all your sacrifice, and to all the vets who helped secure our freedoms.

#2 'Tisofthee

'Tisofthee

Colonel

• Colonel
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Lovely, Gino.

A lovely family memory was made, and your sentiments about it were lovely to read.

Jen

#3 Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy

Major

• Major
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:46 AM

Priceless Gino.

#4 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Honorary Lions of the Lowlands

• + Paratrooper
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

Very very nice Gino...by the way please give your Grandpop a hug from the Irish broad from Chicago, and add my thanks.
Hugs at ya Cindy

#5 birdman

birdman

Lions of the Lowlands

• Lieutenant General
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

Wonderfull!

Let's hope Bill will be around for some more years, so he can tell your daughter personally why he was on TV, when she is old enough to understand.

Wouter

#6 Londo

Londo

Major

• Major
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

I second that!

Ade

#7 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

Great, great, story.

Reminds us that these folks are very, very, real.

I saw "We Stand Alone Together" as well on Veterans' Day, and I love the shot of Bill greeting the folks at the Easy Company reunion, with that gravelly Philadelphia voice, and Babe singing "Bridget O'Flynn."

#8 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

It's heartwarming to think about the legacy that your little girl is going to absorb, just a little bit at a time. Congratulations to her and to you.

And, when Wild Bill thanks about what he fought for . . . isn't this the cherry on top?

#9 kunu

kunu

Major

• Major
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:02 AM

A quality bit of sentiment m8, definately something that will be cherished forever.You'll be surprised how much kids absorb information and really know what's goin on around them.Its just that they don't have the processed vocab to communicate.Nice 1 :D

#10 SASSOON

SASSOON

Captain

• Captain
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

That was really beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

#11 cias

cias

Captain

• + Editor
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

Gino;
This is your favorite old nuisance. I know that 'Wild Bill" is remarkable but he must have had some help from your grandmom.
Cias

#12 Hez

Hez
  • Buck Private
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

That she recognized him onscreen, and especially in that context reminded me of how proud I am of the entire Guarnere family, and I was also reminded that had it not been for my grandfather, I wouldn’t be here today.

Had it not been for your grandfather and all those like him, I might not be here today either. My father enlisted in the Canadian army when he was 18. He spent some time here in southern Alberta guarding German POW's before he was to be shipped over to Europe. However one of the soldiers in his unit got the measles or mumps and the whole unit was quarantined for 3 months. By that time the war was over and my dad didn't have to go and fight. The previous sacrifices of all those brave men changed the tide of the war and I can't help but wonder how things may have turned out otherwise.

#13 Jillybean

Jillybean

Bore Corps

• Major
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

Had it not been for your grandfather and all those like him, I might not be here today either. My father enlisted in the Canadian army when he was 18. He spent some time here in southern Alberta guarding German POW's before he was to be shipped over to Europe. However one of the soldiers in his unit got the measles or mumps and the whole unit was quarantined for 3 months. By that time the war was over and my dad didn't have to go and fight. The previous sacrifices of all those brave men changed the tide of the war and I can't help but wonder how things may have turned out otherwise.

Where abouts in Southern Alberta are you from? I grew up in Stirling (since age 3) along with my brothers and my parents are still there. Most of my family is on this board namely Lt FJB, Capt RWF, Lt PWF DCM (these are my brothers) my parents are Lt RFB and Cpt Shapcote. Welcome to another fellow canadian none-the-less.

Jill

#14 Adelina

Adelina
  • Buck Private
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:25 AM

This very lovely. Life as we know it would be very different had it not been for people like grandpop.

#15 Hez

Hez
  • Buck Private
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

Where abouts in Southern Alberta are you from? I grew up in Stirling (since age 3) along with my brothers and my parents are still there. Most of my family is on this board namely Lt FJB, Capt RWF, Lt PWF DCM (these are my brothers) my parents are Lt RFB and Cpt Shapcote. Welcome to another fellow canadian none-the-less.

Jill

Thank you for the welcome. The way I worded my post was confusing. I'm originally from Consort, which is east central Alberta, about an hour from the Saskatchewan border. My dad was originally from Consort as well, but was stationed at Lethbridge. Sorry for the confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users