• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 01:44 PM

The 506th Association's "Currahee" site has a complete listing of the Currahees lost in WWII as well as other wars:

http://www.506infant...orial/index.htm

This Last Roll Call page will give you the names of Currahees who have passed away since their service.

http://www.506infant...astrollcall.htm

At the time of the D-Day 2001 Normandy premiere of Band of Brothers, it was said that 46 or 48 veterans were flown over for the ceremonies. The list I have at that time totals 46, with one unidentified. And since that time, we've lost more members of Easy: Antonio Garcia, Stephen E. Grodski, Lester Hashey, J. D. Henderson, Frederick T. Heyliger, Paul Lamoureux, C. Carwood Lipton, Johnny Martin, Salve H. Matheson, Patrick S. O'Keefe, Denver Randleman, Ronald Spiers, Ralph Spina and Robert C. Strayer. Here are the survivors as extrapolated from different sources:

James H. Alley, Jr. *
Roderick G. Bain *
Donald S. Bond
Maxwell M. Clark *
Lynn D. Compton
Jack E. Foley
William J. Guarnere *
Forrest L. Guth *
Edward J. Heffron
Edward J. Joint
Joseph A. Lesniewski
Dewitt Lowrey *
Clarence O. Lyall
Donald G. Malarkey *
Leo J. Matz
William C. Maynard *
Earl J. McClung *
Norman W. Neitzke
Frank J. Perconte *
Roy E. Pickel
Darrel C. Powers *
Paul C. Rogers *
Edward D. Shames
Frank Sobeleski
J. B. Stokes
Roderick G. Strohl *
Herbert J. Suerth
Amos J. Taylor *
Edward J. Tipper
William T. Wingett *
Richard D. Winters *
Henry C. Zimmerman

As amended 1/9/06.

* Original Toccoa men

Edited by homefront41, 13 August 2007 - 02:39 PM.

#2 SusanSmithFinn

SusanSmithFinn

Major

• Colonel
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 07:44 PM

BK,

You forgot Father Leo Matz who recently attended an Easy Company reunion for the first time. Also it has recently come to my attention that Eugene Tremble is still alive. I am wracking my brains to think of who else might be still alive.

Sal Matheson is on your list but spelled wrong. I am ashamed to say I have not heard of Don Bond! Ouch!

Susan

#3 Lt FJB

Lt FJB

Bore Corps

• General
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:30 PM

BK is the list you posted only those who attended in 2001 at Normandy, or is that all that remain of the company?

Cheers!

Mark

#4 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:56 PM

How many of these guys (besides Bill, Babe, Dick Winters, and Don Malarkey) are willing to sign my copies of Bob?

#5 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:38 AM

Mark, there is really no way of knowing if others survive but have simply not ever been in touch with the Company. As an example, two of the men on the list I posted only recently surfaced and have been in touch with the group.

No one did more to keep the group in touch than Bill Guarnere, but some simply did not respond or made themselves unfindable. As noted elsewhere, Joe Liebgott dropped out for a few years, during which time his buddies, through Smokey Gordon, contacted his parents in Alameda, CA to get in touch with him with no success. And when he finally did resurface, he remained unconnected with his WW2 buddies through a long lifetime. He died in the mid '90s and his wartime service and experiences were represented by some things in a dusty old cardboard box in the attic, sans the medals which he had earned over three years of service to his country, among them the Bronze Star for his actions at Brecourt Manor.

Herbert Sobel's dues were paid by Bill Guarnere throughout his lifetime, but he chose to avoid any contact.

Both Tab Talbert and Mike Ranney were scarce for a few years here and there, leading their lives and for one reason or another were out of touch with the group.

Albert Blithe left the Philadelphia area and lost contact with Easy and eventually, when in the late '80s someone inquired about the rest of his story (after his hysterical blindness and subsequent wounding in Carentan), the vets searched their memories and concluded that he had died in the late '40s. In fact, he lived until 1967.

I've edited that list several times to add and remove names. It's hard to say definitively. BK

#6 SDavey

SDavey

Staff Sergeant

• Staff Sergeant
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 01:33 PM

Great job compiling the list BK! It's sad that so few remain.

Shane

Edited by SDavey, 24 August 2003 - 01:33 PM.

#7 Skip_Muck_fan

Skip_Muck_fan

Colonel

• Brigadier General
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:57 PM

Yes it is sad that only a few of the E Company men remain. Bless their hearts.
Hoobler and Muck fan

#8 Wilibrord

Wilibrord

Lions of the Lowlands

• Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 03:19 AM

I thought that Speirs had passed away.. my mistake?

#9 Guest_Max (UK)_*

Guest_Max (UK)_*
  • Spy

Posted 24 October 2003 - 04:05 AM

That list is accurate, Wili.

#10 Wilibrord

Wilibrord

Lions of the Lowlands

• Sergeant
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:23 AM

Ok then it was my mistake :D

#11 Guest_Max (UK)_*

Guest_Max (UK)_*
  • Spy

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:36 AM

Thankfully ! Horrible when they pass away - let's hope there won't be any more for another 20 or so years. Make that 50.

#12 jimary

jimary

Major

• Court Martialed
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 05:59 PM

This is better late than never sent at all. I have just checked some of these "506th" names (living and those who died after the war). The vast majority of them have not been nominated for the WWII Memorial Registry. We can ring our hands about the "Great Generation" and how great they were fighting WWII but if they are not entered into the WWII Registry, they will be forgotten especially after Web Sites like this close down and disappear. Just an observation.

Edited by jimary, 29 January 2004 - 10:17 PM.

#13 SusanSmithFinn

SusanSmithFinn

Major

• Colonel
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:05 PM

BK,

There is at least one more not on your list who does not want to be contacted and has not remained in contact all these years but was alive at least as of last fall. Recall my dad's Toccoa photos and he is is many of them.

Since the topic about photos of Bill on ebay for sale is closed, I want to add something here about that. While at the most recent reunion, I heard many a complaint from the vets themselves about ebay seller "dethman". According to Joe Lesniewski, this guy writes to them all, sends them something to sign, acts all sincere, then they show up on ebay. We think he may even have crashed the reunion as there was new stuff on ebay the day after the banquet. Many of the vets are very upset about this. It was even mentioned at the dinner that if anything that was sold or signed at the reunion showed on ebay, it would most likely forever close the reunion to non-family members, which we have tried to do for two eyars now. The reality is that the next one will probably be closed and I think it is time to let the men have their reunions back the way they want them. There is a 506 reunion in Iowa next summer that should be grand! I'll go to that one!

Anyway, I would encourage anyone who reads this message forum to NOT purchase anything listed by "dethman" on ebay as the vets do not endorse his behavior and it is upsetting to them.

Susan

#14 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:33 PM

I'm revolted to hear of such chicanery. It is a disservice to and robbery of brave men. :D

#15 Jumpmaster482

Jumpmaster482

Captain

• Captain
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:38 PM

As far as I know, Amos Small is still alive. Living in Raeford NC. I heard from him last Christmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users