• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#1 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thought it might be interesting to see what other folks on the forum are reading.

Currently, I am plowing through Americans in Paris: Life and Death Under Nazi Occupation by Charles Glass. I am a quarter ways through, and it is a good read. Always like a book when one of the heroines is a librarian! :D

#2 PaulV

PaulV

General

• General
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstam. Interesting book. The coverage of the actual battles is OK but the depth it goes into regarding the background politics is outstanding.

#3 Barbara and Ryan

Barbara and Ryan

Colonel

• Colonel
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

Well, I gotta say I finally finished 'Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends' awhile back and really enjoyed it! (I'm not a huge reader and it takes me a long time to get through a book; I'm not one to just sit & read.)
Now I'm reading a book by Billy Graham on Angels & God's grace; I'm sure I'll be reading this when the dinner in April rolls around. :D

Edited by Barbara and Ryan, 03 February 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Barbara and Ryan

Barbara and Ryan

Colonel

• Colonel
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Ryan just finished 'Tigers in the Mud' by Otto Carius - about Otto's memoirs on the Eastern Front (he was a Tiger Tank commander). Ryan said the book was good except when Otto bad-mouths the American Troops at the end of the book.

Currently he's reading 'Sons of the Reich - II SS Panzer Corps, Normandy, Arnhem, Ardennes, Eastern Front' by Michael Reynolds.

#5 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

So, what was old Otto's problem? Didn't like the fact we shot off his a$$ six or seven times. It's not like it grew back. By the way, after the war, Otto opened up a pharmacy called ye olde Tiger Apotheke. Doesn't sound like he was very "repentent" to me. He's still kicking at 87, and I'd just like to tell old Otto baby that he can pull my finger. In fact, I think we should call up the happy tanker and tell him if doesn't like American Troops that we know some guys from say Easy Company who probably have some nice words for him as well. Bad mouth American soldiers, humph. :D

Ryan just finished 'Tigers in the Mud' by Otto Carius - about Otto's memoirs on the Eastern Front (he was a Tiger Tank commander). Ryan said the book was good except when Otto bad-mouths the American Troops at the end of the book.

Currently he's reading 'Sons of the Reich - II SS Panzer Corps, Normandy, Arnhem, Ardennes, Eastern Front' by Michael Reynolds.

Edited by AQuaker, 03 February 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#6 alise

alise

Major

• Major
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:13 AM

I'm currently reading "Justice in Nuremberg"

#7 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

I´m on the last few pages of

"Sock It to 'Em, Baby: Forward Air Controller in Vietnam"

written by Garry Cooper (Author), Robert Hillier (Author)

Next book will be

"The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat"

written by Bob Drury ( Author ) and Tom Clavin (Author)

#8 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:07 AM

Yo ! she` take it easy on Ol` "Otto baby", he must have had his personal reasons.

I tend To poly-read:

A splendid exchange - how trade shaped the world, William Bernstein.

A History of the Arab Peoples, Albert Hourani

The House of Wisdom: How the Arabs Transformed Western Civilization, Jonathan Lyons

The Ascent of Money, a financial history of the world, Niall Ferguson.

d-day piercing the Atlantic Wall, Kershaw.

with a great long list of others, still in their bookstore wrappers Shelia.

cheers G

#9 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

Yo G man. I was just having fun with old Otto baby. I am a poly reader myself, but I am too sleepy to remember what the other books are at the moment, but I think one is called A Walk to Canterbury and the other something about the weird traditional sports of England.

#10 sergio.barcellos

sergio.barcellos

Colonel

• Colonel
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

Early preparations for HBO´s "The Pacific" :D

"The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone", by James Brady;

"Helmet for My Pillow", by Robert Leckie;

"With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa", by E.B. Sledge (which I´m currently reading, what a great book!);

"THE PEGASUS DIARIES: The Private Papers of Major John Howard DSO", by himself

Cheers,

Sérgio

Edited by sergio.barcellos, 04 February 2010 - 09:05 AM.

#11 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

the weird traditional sports of England :)

She`... hon`... that spade in your hands need to stop you diggin`deeper ! :D

At Peleliu and Okinawa", by E.B. Sledge - now that`s a read and some !

#12 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Sorry mate, but I think in most parts of the world, risking life and limb for a big wheel of cheese is a tad odd. :D By the way, the name of the book is True Brits: A Tour of Britain In All Its Bog-Snorkeling, Shin-Kicking and Cheese-Rolling Glory by J. R. Daeschner

the weird traditional sports of England :)

She`... hon`... that spade in your hands need to stop you diggin`deeper ! :)
At Peleliu and Okinawa", by E.B. Sledge - now that`s a read and some !

Edited by AQuaker, 04 February 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#13 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

We run with eggs in spoons at our childrens sports days and graduate to lawnmower racing, we just love competing for one-upmanship, nothing more nor less.

All these games helped against boredom whilst we awaited our attacks on the French.

#14 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

"For the Love of Robert E. Lee." M. A. Harper

#15 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

Dude,

I look at all of these ancient recreational activities as precursors to organized sports as well as keeping in shape to become the Empire.

Shelia

We run with eggs in spoons at our childrens sports days and graduate to lawnmower racing, we just love competing for one-upmanship, nothing more nor less.

All these games helped against boredom whilst we awaited our attacks on the French.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users