• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#166 FIWI

FIWI

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Just finished 'The life of Anthony McAuliffe" by Mr. Kenneth McAuliffe.
Will now start 'Rendezvous With Destiny, A History of the 101st Airborne Division' By Mr Rapport and Mr Northwood.

#167 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

Ian - kudos for such an alert on a book I`d surely read with historic interest and cross-referencing in mind.

For a short book it has a wealth of notes acknowledging,papers,books and other research done on the subject. It begs the question what was the point of the conference when the extermination of the Jews was well under way particularly the mass murder of the Soviet Jew - a massive ego trip for Heydrich maybe or self aggrandizement as Hitler wasn't present, one that historians have struggled to answer. We will never know, which makes the conference all the more a mystery.

#168 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just finished 'The life of Anthony McAuliffe" by Mr. Kenneth McAuliffe.
Will now start 'Rendezvous With Destiny, A History of the 101st Airborne Division' By Mr Rapport and Mr Northwood.

Have you read any on General Taylor, never seen any books myself but always on the look out?

#169 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Bout to purchase Guns of August and maybe something else. Anyone read Karl Marlantes? He wrote Matterhorn which was an outstanding book and has a new one out too called "What it's like to go to war" and I think he was featured on Vietnam in HD on the History Channel.

#170 CaptO

CaptO

Sergeant

• Sergeant
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Guns of August is a good one. I think a lot of people (interested in military history, that is) know a good deal about WWI but this book goes into a great deal of detail regarding the ramp up to the conflict and opening month of the war. It is very interesting.

Here are some interesting articles on the Von Schliefen Plan:

"The VSP and German War Guilt" Terrence Zuber

"The Real VSP" Robert Foley

"The VSP Was an Orphan" Terrence Zuber

I got a Kindel for Christmas, so I am reading all kinds of free classics.

#171 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

Panzer Commander The Memoirs Of Hans von Luck. He was a friend of Major John Howard and Stephen Ambrose and highly regarded by Erwin Rommel. Enjoyable read.

#172 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Just started with the book Sniper: Master of Terrain, Technology, And Timing, He Is A Hunter Of Human Prey And The Military's Most Feared Fighter

#173 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Final Flights by Ian MacLachlan, Dramatic wartime incidents revealed by aviation archaeology.

Really enjoyed this read. The author who was involved in all the digs has a deep respect for the airmen and their loved ones when exhuming the remnants of their crashed aircraft. It gives a fascinating insight into the lives of RAF, USAAF and USNAF aircrew as well as those who witnessed the crashes ranging from schoolkids to farmers, some of the eyewitnesses were crucial to determine the site of the crash as the exact spot had long been forgotten. It gives detail on the reasons for the crash whether it be a dogfight, accident, aircraft failure or navigational error. It has a wealth of pictures of items recovered some deeply personal and on occasion highly dangerous such as 12 unexploded 500lb HE bombs, don't fancy cluncking one of them with a digger! One of the aircraft in question is a B-17 of the USAAF 8th Fighter Force which demonstrated the awesome potential of the top secret "Aphrodite project".

APHRODITE PROJECT WIKI.

#174 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Read something a lil different. Just finished up Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Anyone else read the books in this series or seen either of the movies (American/Swedish?) It was a change of pace from what I'm used to reading, and it wasn't too bad, I'll probably end up reading the other two books in the series at some point.

#175 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

Read something a lil different. Just finished up Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Anyone else read the books in this series or seen either of the movies (American/Swedish?) It was a change of pace from what I'm used to reading, and it wasn't too bad, I'll probably end up reading the other two books in the series at some point.

I haven't but a few friends who are well read have reccommended the books, I am humming and hawing on whether to read them or not. Will probably get the dvd when released and decide on whether to get the books or not after seeing the film, the film has got great reviews. I did that with Harry Potter, yes some of my adult friends suggested I read them too, needless to say I didn't read those books or watch any other HP films after that :D When not reading history I normally turn to Science fiction for a wee break, murder mustery, pulp fiction basically and stuff is not my bag.

#176 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

I haven't but a few friends who are well read have reccommended the books, I am humming and hawing on whether to read them or not. Will probably get the dvd when released and decide on whether to get the books or not after seeing the film, the film has got great reviews. I did that with Harry Potter, yes some of my adult friends suggested I read them too, needless to say I didn't read those books or watch any other HP films after that :D When not reading history I normally turn to Science fiction for a wee break, murder mustery, pulp fiction basically and stuff is not my bag.

Yea seems like a lotta people like reading/watching the HP films but just not something I could could find myself getting into. TGWTDT was surprisingly good. Some people say that it's slow/confusing to start out with but I didn't find that and for a book that was almost 700 pages, I managed to finish it in just a couple weeks. Pretty sure I'll be getting into the other books in the series at some point but for now on my reading list are:

Guns of August
The Right Stuff

#177 CaptO

CaptO

Sergeant

• Sergeant
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Currently reading Ender's Shadow. Ender's Game and The Speaker for the Dead were very good and I'm enjoying Shadow as well.

#178 FJBoccia

FJBoccia

General

• + Editor
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Just ordered Seal Target Geronimo, a book by a former Seal officer, describing what he calls the true account of the Bin Laden raid. His claim is that most of what we've heard and now accept as fact is untrue, a victim of political spin and bad reporting --and where have I heard that before? Should be interesting; I'll have it in about three or four days.

FJB

#179 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

The Murder Of King Tut by James Patterson and Martin Dugard - load of hooey, a friend gave me it, in my ignorance of James Patterson the author I thought it was non fiction.

Seal Target Geronimo, noted and will order.

#180 FJBoccia

FJBoccia

General

• + Editor
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

The Murder Of King Tut by James Patterson and Martin Dugard - load of hooey, a friend gave me it, in my ignorance of James Patterson the author I thought it was non fiction.

Seal Target Geronimo, noted and will order.

James Patterson is the literary equivalent of a New Jersey landfill: Full of bad smells and questionable garbage.

FJB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users