• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#16 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

Finished Pictures of an Exhibition...a novel set in Paris before and after the war. It centers around the art world and the all to efficient removal of France's masterpieces by the Nazis, its impact on Jewish survivors and museums. Not the best novel I ever read, but good if you have an interest in this area of history.

#17 jtag

jtag

Major

• Basic Training
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Jeff Shaara's The Steel Wave. It's taking me ages to get into it. For some reason the precise details of a small sub is not an easy entry point into Overlord for me.

#18 JsmakBkr

JsmakBkr

Sergeant

• Sergeant
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:36 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle of the following:

The Zoning of America: Euclid v. Ambler
by Michael Allan Wolf

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (Liberation Trilogy)
by Rick Atkinson

Omaha Beach: A Flawed Victory
by Adrian R. Lewis

The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York
by Robert A. Caro

Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything
by Don Tapscott

Buried by the Times: The Holocaust and America's Most Important Newspaper
by Laurel Leff

Building Gotham: Civic Culture and Public Policy in New York City, 1898--1938
by Keith D. Revell

#19 jtag

jtag

Major

• Basic Training
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

I just picked up Helmet For My Pillow today and I'm already at Guadalcanal. Leckie is fantastic.

#20 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

I tend to be a polyreader as well. Largely I've been deep backgrounding in preparation for an activist pre-season to election day, November 2, 2010. No sidelines for me anymore.

Anti-Capitalistic Mentality and Planning for Freedom, von Mises - old friends on economics
Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlit - ditto
The Next 100 years, A Forecast for the 21st Century, George Friedman
In Search of Self-Governance, Scott Rasmussen - very good simple declarative display of We the People
Liberty and Tyranny, Mark Levin
American Progressivism, Pestritto and Atto - will piss off any true patriot
Courting Disaster, Thiessen - what worked keeping us safe
In the President's Secret Service, Ronald Kessler - entertaining and gossipy with some fascinating insights

Looking forward to The Pacific. In a few weeks, I'll take a break from current events to spend some time refreshing with Sledge, Leckie and Basilone. BK

EDIT TO ADD: Doug, For Love of Robert E. Lee again. Thanks for the reminder. I never did get ahold of that recommendation. BK

Edited by homefront41, 06 February 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#21 PaulV

PaulV

General

• General
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I tend to be a polyreader as well. Largely I've been deep backgrounding in preparation for an activist pre-season to election day, November 2, 2010. No sidelines for me anymore.

Anti-Capitalistic Mentality and Planning for Freedom, von Mises - old friends on economics
Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlit - ditto
The Next 100 years, A Forecast for the 21st Century, George Friedman
In Search of Self-Governance, Scott Rasmussen - very good simple declarative display of We the People
Liberty and Tyranny, Mark Levin
American Progressivism, Pestritto and Atto - will piss off any true patriot
Courting Disaster, Thiessen - what worked keeping us safe
In the President's Secret Service, Ronald Kessler - entertaining and gossipy with some fascinating insights

Looking forward to The Pacific. In a few weeks, I'll take a break from current events to spend some time refreshing with Sledge, Leckie and Basilone. BK

EDIT TO ADD: Doug, For Love of Robert E. Lee again. Thanks for the reminder. I never did get ahold of that recommendation. BK

Good thing you're reading those now before they go on the banned list. :D

#22 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

There are nine holds on the following book. The author was on Scott Simons's show yesterday. Tomorrow when I go to work, there will be ten.

Daring Young Men : the Heroism and Triumph of the Berlin Airlift, June 1948-May 1949 / Richard Reeves.

#23 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

I finished this a couple of weeks ago and just wanted to say it is a wonderful story of bravery and courage. I wish I could say everyone had a happy ending, but we all know life just doesn't work that way.

Thought it might be interesting to see what other folks on the forum are reading.

Currently, I am plowing through Americans in Paris: Life and Death Under Nazi Occupation by Charles Glass. I am a quarter ways through, and it is a good read. Always like a book when one of the heroines is a librarian! :D

#24 Frank Gubbels

Frank Gubbels

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

At the moment I am reading this topic :D

OT:
I am re-reading parts of Don Malarkey's book. I haven't finished a book in the lst coule of weeks. Started reading in several books but I couldn't find enough time to finish them.

#25 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

You sound like me when I was on Facebook, and they kept asking me that question. I'm reading this. Frank, you will enjoy Don's book. Sometimes, it was hard to read because he experienced so much emotional pain after the war, but he perserves. Even though it did not happen in real life, I love that shot in BOB's of Malarkey running up to the top of the Eagles Nest. After everything he saw and experienced, that moment was priceless and very touching for me.

At the moment I am reading this topic :D

OT:
I am re-reading parts of Don Malarkey's book. I haven't finished a book in the lst coule of weeks. Started reading in several books but I couldn't find enough time to finish them.

#26 Frank Gubbels

Frank Gubbels

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

You sound like me when I was on Facebook, and they kept asking me that question. I'm reading this. Frank, you will enjoy Don's book. Sometimes, it was hard to read because he experienced so much emotional pain after the war, but he perserves. Even though it did not happen in real life, I love that shot in BOB's of Malarkey running up to the top of the Eagles Nest. After everything he saw and experienced, that moment was priceless and very touching for me.

And he was in Verviers when the others werre in Berchtesgaden. Verviers is 15 km away from the place where I live. That makes it even more special for me.

#27 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Besides my usual summer mysteries and chick lit reads, I currently tuck myself in with Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood with Britain in Its Darkest, Finest Hour by Lynne Olson. It is the story of the careers of Edward R. Murrow, Averell Harriman and John Gilbert Winant. The latter is one of many unsung and yet tragic heroes of the war. The former Rebublican governor was a New Deal supporter and ended his political career over some very good principles. I have always been an admirer of Murrow. Highly recommend.

[img]http://http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PLDAaQS7L.jpg[/img]

Edited by AQuaker, 05 July 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#28 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:41 AM

We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam

Next:
Dak To: America's Sky Soldiers in South Vietnam's Central Highlands

#29 SASSOON

SASSOON

Captain

• Captain
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'm currently reading "The War Come Home: Disabled Veterans in Britain and Germany, 1914-1939" by Deborah Cohen. Highly recommended.

#30 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

I sped read Fireworks Over Taccoa. No mention of paratroopers or the 101st. Very disappointing romantic schlock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users