Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

Im currently reading 2 books at the same time

Dak To

&

Generation Kill ( the source for the mini-series )

So far, both are quite interesting to read :D

#47 PaulV

PaulV

General

• General
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

I'm currently in the middle of Helmet for My Pillow. I was going to start on With the Old Breed next but I found my old copy of Master and Commander whilst cleaning out the garage loft this weekend. This could be the start of a long relationship as I remember how much I enjoyed it the first time and am now aware of how long the complete series is.

A little humor for the Jane Austen fans out there. :D

Jane Austen's Fight Club

#48 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Getting ready to start Elsie and Mairi Go to War - Two Extraordinary Women on the Western Front. It is about two women who met at a motorcycle club in 1912 and set off for London when the war broke out. They volunteered to set up a first-aid post near Ypres and became known as the "Angels of Pervyse."

PS
Loved the Jane Austen Fight Club :D :)

#49 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Im currently reading 2 books at the same time

Dak To

&

Generation Kill ( the source for the mini-series )
So far, both are quite interesting to read :D

Read Generation Kill as well, definitely an interesting read

Currently reading "Shooter" an autobiography from a sniper who served in 2nd Gulf War

Prior to that I read "Ghost Soldiers" (Account of the rescue of the prisoners of the Bataan Death March) and "WAR" (Journalists account while stationed in Afghanistan)

#50 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Finished reading this. It is excellent. These two women endured a lot together but after they war, they never saw or spoke to one another again.

Best,

Shelia

Getting ready to start Elsie and Mairi Go to War - Two Extraordinary Women on the Western Front. It is about two women who met at a motorcycle club in 1912 and set off for London when the war broke out. They volunteered to set up a first-aid post near Ypres and became known as the "Angels of Pervyse."

PS
Loved the Jane Austen Fight Club :D :)

#51 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:10 AM

Currently reading "Shooter" an autobiography from a sniper who served in 2nd Gulf War

Read that last year - gives you a very interesting perspective about how snipers operate in that type of environment

#52 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Read that last year - gives you a very interesting perspective about how snipers operate in that type of environment

Agreed...he almost feels jilted being a sniper b/c he doesn't feels like since he's not a frontline guy, he doesn't get the respect that he deserves...def an interesting read.

Now reading:

Matterhorn

and just dl'ed Teddy Roosevelt's autobiography on my Kindle

#53 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

How's that Dak To book?

Currently reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt

Kinda interested in reading something from the Vietnam Era. Not sure where to begin...I was thinking maybe on the topic of the Bay of Pigs? Anyone have any suggestions on anything of that era? Thanks :)

#54 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

The book includes a lot of informations about the fights - quite interesting but not that easy to read - well at least for me - but thats mainly because I have problems remembering all that names of the different units involved

About a suggestion where to start - not that easy - depends on if you want to read something based on personal accounts or about the bigger picture

The first book I read was "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills" - which tells the story of Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

I prefer reading books written by soldiers about their time in Vietnam

Im sure that our Vietnam Vets wont have any problems naming a few "must read" titles

#55 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I just finished Connie Willis' All Clear which is about Time-traveling historians trapped in London during WWII. I learned a lot about the civilian organizations and the emotional impact of the bombing. A real page turner.

Currently reading Larry Alexander's book on the road with the late Forrest Guth.

Planning to start reading a novel by Finnish writer Tove Jansson.

Edited by AQuaker, 17 November 2010 - 08:14 PM.

#56 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:16 AM

@ Danman1116

Here are some books I would recommend

Personal / unit accounts:

A Ranger Born

To the Limit: An Air Cav Huey Pilot in Vietnam

Force Recon Diary, 1969 [Taschenbuch] by Norton, B. H.; Norton, Bruce H.

Force Recon Diary, 1970 by Norton, Bruce H.; Norton, B. H.

Pathfinder: First In, Last Out

Hill 488

Chickenhawk

Price of Exit

Low Level Hell: A Scout Pilot in the Big Red One

Recondo: Lrrps in the 101st: LRRPs in the 101st

Six Silent Men (101st Lrp/Rangers)

Firebirds

Chickenhawk

Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong AP Bia

Ripcord

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young

Big picture

Vietnam at War: The History: 1946-1975

Dispatches

#57 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

@ Danman1116

Here are some books I would recommend

Personal / unit accounts:

A Ranger Born

To the Limit: An Air Cav Huey Pilot in Vietnam

Force Recon Diary, 1969 [Taschenbuch] by Norton, B. H.; Norton, Bruce H.

Force Recon Diary, 1970 by Norton, Bruce H.; Norton, B. H.

Pathfinder: First In, Last Out

Hill 488

Chickenhawk

Price of Exit

Low Level Hell: A Scout Pilot in the Big Red One

Recondo: Lrrps in the 101st: LRRPs in the 101st

Six Silent Men (101st Lrp/Rangers)

Firebirds

Chickenhawk

Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong AP Bia

Ripcord

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young

Big picture

Vietnam at War: The History: 1946-1975

Dispatches

Wow, thanks Steve! Any one of those I should start off with you think or can I pretty much just jump into any one of those? Thanks again Steve, greatly appreciate the feedback on this!

#58 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

After all those years I spend time reading books, watching documentations and collecting all kinds of information I could get my hands on, I actually would recommened to read these threads first:

Questions About the Vietnam War

My experiences in Vietnam

Recollections

Most members will notice that one thread is missing here - the one about Hamburger Hill - still a shame that Frank had to edit most of its content few years ago - definitely a great loss for those who weren´t able to read it while it still was complete

2 reasons why I recommend reading those threads first:

- those threads contain more detailed information than you´ll find in most books
- those threads were started by Vietnam vets who also spend some of their spare time answering questions asked by people of this board in great detail - with a lot of patience - especially those posted by that one guy from Germany :ph34r:

About the books - that would be my "to read first" list - in no special order

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young --> first major battle between NVA and US troops

Heart of a soldier --> tells the story of Rick Rescorla who also fought in the Ia Drang valley and who saved countless lives during 9/11

Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong AP Bia --> way better than the movie + a member of this board fought there ( Frank Boccia )

Ripcord --> the last major battle in the A Shau valley fought by the 101st Airborne Division --> a member of this board fought there ( Richard )

Six Silent Men (101st Lrp/Rangers) --> tells the stories of small teams of 6-12 soldiers mostly operating deep inside enemy controlled territory

Chickenhawk --> personal account of a helicopter pilot who survived more than 1000 missions

Edited by Steve1979, 18 November 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#59 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

Re reading John Keegan's book "Six Armies In Normandy".

Question; The very first pic in the book shows Ike talking to troops of E Coy 502nd PIR prior to emplaning. Can anyone identify those in the pic particularly what looks like an officer with Plane no 23 placard hanging from his neck?

#60 Danman1116

Danman1116

Major

• Major
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

After all those years I spend time reading books, watching documentations and collecting all kinds of information I could get my hands on, I actually would recommened to read these threads first:

Questions About the Vietnam War

My experiences in Vietnam

Recollections

Most members will notice that one thread is missing here - the one about Hamburger Hill - still a shame that Frank had to edit most of its content few years ago - definitely a great loss for those who werent able to read it while it still was complete

2 reasons why I recommend reading those threads first:

- those threads contain more detailed information than youll find in most books
- those threads were started by Vietnam vets who also spend some of their spare time answering questions asked by people of this board in great detail - with a lot of patience - especially those posted by that one guy from Germany :ph34r:

About the books - that would be my "to read first" list - in no special order

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young --> first major battle between NVA and US troops

Heart of a soldier --> tells the story of Rick Rescorla who also fought in the Ia Drang valley and who saved countless lives during 9/11

Hamburger Hill: The Brutal Battle for Dong AP Bia --> way better than the movie + a member of this board fought there ( Frank Boccia )

Ripcord --> the last major battle in the A Shau valley fought by the 101st Airborne Division --> a member of this board fought there ( Richard )

Six Silent Men (101st Lrp/Rangers) --> tells the stories of small teams of 6-12 soldiers mostly operating deep inside enemy controlled territory

Chickenhawk --> personal account of a helicopter pilot who survived more than 1000 missions

After I post this reply I'm gonna venture my way over to those threads. I greatly appreciate all this feedback Steve. Ever since reading Matterhorn, I've wanted to expand my horizons past WWII and learn more about Vietnam.

Once I'm done with Teddy Roosevelts biography (which I'm only on the first part of his life up to his presidency) I'm gonna load We were Soldiers once onto my Kindle

Thanks again Steve!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users