Re-introduce Myself Here

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tigerhead

Tigerhead
  • Buck Private
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

Sorry if I introduce myself twice here, but it seems that my post wasn't submitted well the first time.

Hi to you all,

My name is Danny ter Horst and I live in a city called Arnhem, the Netherlands. I am 37 years old.
Already at young age I became interested in WWII. At primary school I did a general project about WWII and that's how it all started. I read many books and watched all the movies I could get. With the age of 14 I joined Documentation Group '40- '45. With their organisation I went to several interesting excursions and also went to Normandy for the first time in 1990. At that time I narrowed my interest in operation Market Garden. After graduation and serving in the army I lost my interest in WWII a little bit.

Since the wonderful productions of Saving private ryan and BoB, I became interested again. I bought most of the books about Easy Cie and study carefully what happened during Market Garden. This year I finished walking the airborne trail (220km) together with my mom (age 65). It's a trail from Lommel (Belgium) via Eindhoven, Nijmegen to Arnhem and during the hike we passes many monuments.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a Colonel Sink 2010 tour with Steph Leenhouwers and Chris Anderson and with honered guest the youngest daugther of Robert Sink named Robin. It was a wonderful trip and met many new friends.

I hope to learn more about what happened during the autumn months of 1944, when 101st Airborne was in Holland.
And I think I am here at the right place.

Danny ter Horst

#2 FJBoccia

FJBoccia

General

• + Editor
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

I hope to learn more about what happened during the autumn months of 1944, when 101st Airborne was in Holland.
And I think I am here at the right place.

Danny ter Horst

You are, and you're welcome.

FJB

#3 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Danny, if you did not see the responses to your first introduction, please know that we are aware of the connection of the ter Horst family to Operation Market-Garden. Are you indeed related to the ter Horsts featured in the book and movie, "A Bridge Too Far?"

In any event, Frank's right. Welcome!

#4 Tigerhead

Tigerhead
  • Buck Private
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

Yes, I am aware of the story about Kate ter Horst living in Oosterbeek during the landings. Although we have exact the same family name, I don't think we are family. Maybe some far related perhaps.

I guess I missed all the reply's on my first introduction, because I was on a Band of Brother trip at that moment.

#5 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Welkom in het forum, vriend.

#6 maddevon

maddevon

Major

• Major
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Welcome Danny. As a student of history, you're at the right place. Frank Gubbels on this forum, also from The Netherlands, seems to be very knowledgeable about WWII action throughout the ETO, especially in his home country. You might try contacting him to share information. Good luck on your searches.

#7 gilliesisle

gilliesisle

General

• General
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to the boards! As Frank (FJBoccia) and Doug (appell8) have pointed out, you are in the right place!

Lisa

#8 Tigerhead

Tigerhead
  • Buck Private
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for all the friendly reactions.
I still have a lot to read through this forum. There is lot's of information here.

#9 FIWI

FIWI

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

Danny welcome.
Philip
Southern Neighbor.

#10 Dave602

Dave602

Colonel