• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

I know, I'm a month late and several dollars short. And not quite sure where to put this. But I wanted to take note that Gino started this forum in late March 2002, attracting many of us who had posted on the HBO boards, and many new folks. I can't even begin to summarize how important this community has been to me. Perhaps, later in the thread, I'll try to hit some of the highlights. But, for now, just wanted to let Gino know how much I have appreciated his site. And to let you all know how important y'all have been to me.

y.o.s., MacDougal

#2 Frank Gubbels

Frank Gubbels

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

Congratulations on a ten years anniversary Gino.
I subscribed in late 2004 and this website has changed my life a lot. Thanks to some members here I was able to get in contact with Mr. Malarkey. Later I met some people of this forum in Belgium and Normandy. I received a lot of information about veterans etc. from WBG members. Ian Hay send me a few, original, Tomahawks and a 30th infantry newspaper which are still in my possesion. People from our village asked me to show themon the exhibition during our next liberation commemoration.
This website gives us also the opportunity to get in touch with other veterans, like Frederick Glover and the late Len Smith. I was fortunate enough to meet them both in Normandy in June 2009.

Thank you Gino for giving us the opportunity to get in touch and meeting very nice people with the same interest. I won't forget it!!!!

Best wishes,
Frank

Edited by Frank Gubbels, 01 May 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#3 ianhay_7

ianhay_7

General

• General
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

Happy Anniversary WBG.COM.

My 7th year as a member and thanks to this site I have made many friends and corresponded with the veterans, I also realised my wish to visit the battlefields of France and still hope to visit the Netherlands too with Bart and Frank et al. It has however cost me a fortune in books thanks to the recommendations of the members and increased my knowledge 10 fold.

An avid fan.

#4 misako

misako

General

• General
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Joining this site is one of the best things I have ever done in my life, really

I consider many of you as my friends - thank you Gino, for starting this site

BTW Doug, when will I ever get to meet you?

#5 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thank you Gino for opening up so many channels of opportunity, interest, association, cameraderie and learning. Its been a very rapid 10 years !

#6 AQuaker

AQuaker

General

• General
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Love to all!

#7 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

Congratualtions !
Thanks to this site, I was able to make new friends from all over the world - I am very thankfull for that !

#8 sergio.barcellos

sergio.barcellos

Colonel

• Colonel
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

Happy Anniversary! Congratulations to Gino and all the folks @ WBG.COM and a big THANK YOU, because that┤s where I had the opportunity to meet so many great people. You're the best!

SÚrgio, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.

#9 kat

kat

Major

• Major
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Member #132... That was me. When I joined this site on June 6, 2002 I lived 2000 miles from my current residence and my daughters were 11 and 8 years old. Now the oldest, Amanda has been in the Air Force for 3 years and she is getting married a month from now and Katie, my baby is graduating from high school in a week and half. Where does the time go???

I have made so many wonderful friends in this community; Cindy, Lisa Marie & Jonelle, (shout out to my WBG girlies. We have traveled the country meeting up every couple of years to hang out for a weekend to laugh, sightsee, drink and just enjoy each other's company) Doug,Dusty, Taylor, Ruud, Melissa, Steve, Jaf, Rachel, Tony, Frank, Krystin, Gino. You all are amazing! Of course, I will NEVER forget the night Dusty and I got to drive around South Philly with Wild Bill behind the wheel. A long and wonderful story there. The Continental.... For those of you who were there that night in 2004 you know what I'm saying....

Gino, thank you for the great times at the two dinners I was fortunate enough to attend in Philly. Thank you for this community.

Wild Bill, you've changed my life. I love you for it and I can NEVER thank you or other vets enough! You touched the lives of countless people. People you've met personally and people whose destiny were changed because of actions you took. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

To the entire Guarnere family, thank you for letting us interrupt and change the course of your lives as well.

God bless and take care!

Kat

#10 gilliesisle

gilliesisle

General

• General
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Happy 10th Anniversary! Like Kat, and several others have said, this site has had such a positive impact on my life.

WBG has truly been a treasure trove of information for not just the American vets and their roles in WWII, but also for the British and Canadian roles and some of their stories. Plus we've added the stories of some Vietnam vets along the way. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the best people I know. I've met Bill a couple of times, Babe, and of course Gino and Gene. Philly holds some of the best memories for me! I've met and traveled with the other three "WBG Ladies" - Cindy, Kat, Jonelle and also met Doug, Barbara, Dusty, TC, Ruud, Steven, Jaf and Mrs. Jaf. If I ever get across The Pond again, I look forward to meeting with our European friends as well.

I've learned a lot from all of you and look forward to learning a lot more! Thanks for the memories - and service.

Hang tough!

Lisa (Marie)

Edited by gilliesisle, 14 May 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#11 Barbara and Ryan

Barbara and Ryan

Colonel

• Colonel
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

Even though I've only been a member for a few years compared to most of you posting on this thread and I rarely join in the 'conversations' and have attended only one dinner ... I have met several of you because of this site and the dinner and consider you friends. :rolleyes:

Thank you Gino and Gene for this site!

#12 Frenchie

Frenchie

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

I'm so glad Gino started this site and allowed us to get in touch with the "real" heroes of WWII.

Thank you for your personal investment.

I've met some great people thanks to WBG.

And I've learned a lot, even though I still feel very ignorant. But there's time yet...

To many more years!

Love,
Nathalie

#13 iiiecpiii

iiiecpiii

Major

• Major
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

Gino,
thank you for this formum. This site has been a gateway to some of our most enjoyable and inspiring adventures. Not to mention meeting so many wonderful people.
Thanx again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users