• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FJBoccia

FJBoccia

General

• + Editor
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

While at Fort Campbell this year, we were introduced to a gentleman from Texas Tech University, which is striving to be a primary-source archive for material dealing with several topics, including the 20th century conflicts. One such group is the Vietnam War Documentation center, and specifically the Oral History project.

I recently completed the longest interview of the project, running to about 18.5 hours. Those of you who know me aren't surprised, since I can talk non-stop until your ears fall off. The unedited interview is now posted on-line, at the Texas Tech website, as document OH0859.mp3, and referencd as the Boccia interview.

Go to the Texas Tech Vietnam center and Archive and enter the interviews section. You can download it if you want, but it takes a long time and you can open it instead.

Unfortunately, the recording, in some places, is not too clear, but that'[s mainly my fault; I have allergies which make me hoarse and that gets in the way.

But gain, I warn you; the interview is long and it covers everything from my childhood up to Dong Ap Bia and its aftermath. Nor are there any recognizable bookmarks, and least not in the unedited version. The real value will come when some of the others are interviewed in the same way.

FJB

#2 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Frank, most excellent. It's good that history will have a hold on any material that is not included in your memoir. Good news, Doug

#3 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Great !
Iīm going to download that interview and listen to it as soon as possible - canīt wait to listen to your memories !

#4 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Will be delighted to "check-it-out" Frank.

Recently, in the UK, we have been treated to a superb new documentary series.

http://www.history.c...m: Generic&ps=1

I watched with awe and listened with a keen intensity at the footage and interviews with the veterans. I was especially affected by the honesty of the men as they described how they fought so hard and well (for example at Dong Ap Bia) yet they had to give the ground back to the enemy - as routine, for as you have pointed out ; it was more important to have a high enemy body-count, than a geographic/territorial leap. Shocking too, was the unfetterable and unavoidable pathos, exuded by the [interviewee] men, as they described the reactions of certain US citizens, at the occassion of their homecoming.

The programme which covered the Tet uprising was excellent. The political machinations which went on behind the scenes that resulted in the forbidding of further successful US encroachment into Cambodia (on the trail of the NVA munition stockpiles for example), were incredibly frustrating. As the Interviewees pointed out.

I should imagine your recollections will be invaluable Frank.

#5 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Frank, given the number of US soldiers draughted to fight in Vietnam, I don`t suppose you ever came across Arthur Wiknik ? - he went through officer training too and after 1 month in Vietnam his [101st Airborne] combat unit was deployed to assist at hill 937.

I often wondered if you might recognise him or even see him at conventions etc.

http://www.history.c...art-wiknik.html

Arthur was one of those interviewees whom broke down into tears as he recounted his homecoming.

Cheers Frank.

#6 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Recently, in the UK, we have been treated to a superb new documentary series.

http://www.history.c...m: Generic&ps=1

Many thanks for that link !

Looks like a great collection

#7 FJBoccia

FJBoccia

General

• + Editor
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Frank, given the number of US soldiers draughted to fight in Vietnam, I don`t suppose you ever came across Arthur Wiknik ? - he went through officer training too and after 1 month in Vietnam his [101st Airborne] combat unit was deployed to assist at hill 937.

I often wondered if you might recognise him or even see him at conventions etc.

http://www.history.c...art-wiknik.html

Arthur was one of those interviewees whom broke down into tears as he recounted his homecoming.

Cheers Frank.

Yes, Wiknik and I have corresponded often; he wrote a book called Nam Sense. In addition, he was one of the men profiled in the high school text book I mentioned on the site a year or so back; in fact, he and I were supposed to do a radio tour together after the text book was issued, but my health intervened. Finally, he and I were among the ones interviewed in a Memorial Day special radio show by a Dallas DJ named Jerry Stewart. Somewhere around here I have a DVD of that programme (see how expansive and accomodating I am this morhing, Gary? I used the Brit spelling, even though it cost me two extra keystrokes).

FJB

#8 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

Yes, Wiknik and I have corresponded often; he wrote a book called Nam Sense.

Next time you speak to him, please let him know that thereīs a guy in Germany who read his book, enjoyed reading and learned a lot of it

#9 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Nice detail about Mr Wiknik Frank ! He came over, on film, as a very gentle human being. I believe his Nam Sense is a book of deep reflections and of "coming-to-terms". Steve thank you for its endorsement, I shall try to take time to get a copy.

Oh ! and spellings, I appreciate your Anglo-attention, hey ! used used 2 key strokes -letters - too many with "draught" instead of "draft", and draught is completey wrong here.

FJB - do you think you health is stable enough to go touring and talking - if it came to be a popular request ? If you have that DVD to hand, I`d appreciate a copy mate.

Cheers

Edited by G.MITCHELL, 06 July 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#10 FJBoccia

FJBoccia

General

• + Editor
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Nice detail about Mr Wiknik Frank ! He came over, on film, as a very gentle human being. I believe his Nam Sense is a book of deep reflections and of "coming-to-terms". Steve thank you for its endorsement, I shall try to take time to get a copy.

Oh ! and spellings, I appreciate your Anglo-attention, hey ! used used 2 key strokes -letters - too many with "draught" instead of "draft", and draught is completey wrong here.

FJB - do you think you health is stable enough to go touring and talking - if it came to be a popular request ? If you have that DVD to hand, I`d appreciate a copy mate.

Cheers

To you and Steve: I told Wiknik about your posts on this site and he visited it. He was very appreciative of your comments and asked me to pass on his thanks and best regards. I'm going to work on getting him to join the site.

FJB

#11 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for forwarding our messages and your effort to get another Vietnam Vet to join this site !

#12 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Gosh ! I have just noticed the last few posts on this thread, (My computer has not thrown them up as "new content" for some reason ?)

Thank you very much for passing Mr Wiknik our comments Frank, as I appreciate his considered wishes back. It would be marvellous if he finds it worthwhile in joinging this merry band of interested posters @WBG.

#13 Steve1979

Steve1979

General

• General
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

It took me some time to modify the original sound file so that I can listen to it on my hifi system - the format, size and quality was a bit problematic, but I finally managed to get it done

I went through the first 3 hours and canīt wait to listen to the rest of it

When you told the interviewer about your arrival and first meeting with Sgt Wright, I had to laugh out loud where you repeated the radio call between Wright and the Sgt back at camp - I propably read that passage 3-4 times already, but listening to you telling that story is so much better

#14 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Honorary Lions of the Lowlands

• + Paratrooper
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Wow! Listening now... Your Dad was quite the man Frank!! Both of your parents sound like very strong people..The things a person doesn't know know about a person.. thanks!

Edited by Irishmaam, 12 August 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#15 G.MITCHELL

G.MITCHELL

General

• General
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

If you have that CD to hand, I`d appreciate a copy mate.

Cheers ! thanks so much Farnk, I got the disc and listened to it. You are so proud to be an American my friend.

Edited by G.MITCHELL, 16 August 2012 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users