• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

Mike, thanks for that added detail. Even after Atkinson's "Army At Dawn," there's much more to be told about Torch and its aftermath.

Terrier, when I said "survived" I meant "continued in the line." Should have been more clear. My father is still alive, and thus survived the war, but his rifle company career ended with his million dollar wound in March.

The casualty rates were such that the odds were against any soldier in a rifle company, officer or enlisted, to remain unwounded in the line for eight months.

My sense is that it is unlikely that Army records will contain anything about the weapon your grandfather carried. Your best source on the BAR thread is to find something in your grandfather's personal effects about it. Group photo, V-Mail home, diary or the like.

My father said that there was some flexibility about who carried what weapon. But the rule was that SOMEONE in a rifle squad had to carry the BAR. It was too valuable to the group firepower to pass up. And it was tough duty, because the BAR was heavy, and the ammo for it was heavy. But it was a great equalizer in the firepower battles with German units heavy with MG 42's.

You have much to be proud of in your grandfather's record. His being a BAR man is very much part of that.

#17 MerchMariner85

MerchMariner85

Captain

• Major
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

Andy, you are right. The 9th was stationed in the Delta, south of Saigon. In fact, I think there's a frame in "Forrest Gump," when Forrest first meets the Captain, showing a sign saying "2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry."

I just watched Forrest Gump and you're absolutely right... not only does the sign say that, but he wears the division patch on his fatigue and dress uniforms in the movie. (Psychedelic cookie?)

#18 Morgy

Morgy

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:37 AM

*BUMP*

Dear Doug,

I hope that DOM is still okay. And DOD, too. Give us news.

I've just watched Forrest Gump and noticed the 9th Inf. Div. 's insigna on his shoulder. If I had this patch, I'd sew it on one of my bags. Along with the Screaming Eagles & the 87th Inf. Div., DOD's unit symbolize for me the Liberation troops in Belgium (I suppose this perception depends on the experience of every family or Belgian).

So thanks one more time to DOD and his fellows for their job here.

Edited by Morgy, 15 July 2007 - 05:38 AM.

#19 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

Morgs, I talked to DOD and DOM tonight with your post in mind. They both send their best wishes to you.

They are 85 and 83 respectively, and have the problems that you would expect at those ages. But. They still live in the house that DOD designed in 1961, and will have to be blasted out of it. They still read voraciously, and DOM still starts the day with a crossword puzzle. And they're still passionately concerned about the issues of the day and about history.

They both send their best respects to you. You are in many respects an exemplar of values that they care about. Not least in your academic achievements. And also in your concern for others and your respect.

In support of that, I offer this exhibit. DOD just sent me a box of books for my birthday. Pretty standard. Including a book about Pete Maravich, a basketball hero of my youth. But he also included two books I'd never read: "Anne of Green Gables," and "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm." What the heck? These were chick books of the 1930's. I'd never have guessed that my gruff, macho, take-no-guff-and-give-no-quarter father would have ever cracked the cover of either of them.

Nope. When I asked him tonight what that was about, he said he'd read both of them as a teenager. Whoa. And they both appealed to him because the heroines were selfless, caring about people other than themselves. Whoa.

You live and learn. That, Morgs, would put you in the category of people that both DOD and DOM regard highly. As does their son.

As you know, Binche, Belgium was one of the few high points in DOD's ETO experience. As a result, I and my brothers grew up with a fond spot for Belgians. The fete in Binche in 1994 deepened that reaction. You have taken it to another level. y.o.s., Doog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users