• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 12:56 AM

BK, I think you did an amazing job of remembering, by whatever means neccessary, the details of this experience of a lifetime.
Kudos to Maggie for being your ...willing I'm sure...sounding board. :D

Sue

#17 hwhap

hwhap

General

• General
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:13 PM

Itís Earl and Shifty who are side by side chuckling, relating the V-E Day celebrations and how it was the only time the whole company ever fell out in their underwear.

What a shame that wasn't included in the mini-series! That would have been hilarious.

Having just become a Paratrooper (after tormenting poor Gino to death trying to figure out how to use PayPal!), I am looking though the secret archives of the Paratroop Regiment here. Thereís lots of great reading here BK. I've read all of your chapters now.

But I was wondering about a few things. I notice that Dick Winters isn't mentioned and doesn't seem to be in any of the photos. Does he usually go to the reunions, and was he unable to attend this one?

I'm glad to hear that Dr. Henry S. was there. I remember reading all his gentlemanly posts from the HBO Boards. I had been wondering about him, because he had stopped posting on those Boards. I was hoping he was alright.

Vee

Edited by hwhap, 24 August 2003 - 05:13 PM.

#18 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 06:40 PM

Major Winters has apparently attended the odd reunion over the years, but as I understand it, he tended more to visiting with vets in small clusters now and again. I've read of his visiting this one and that one on the way to someplace else. The men for their part are delighted to see him and have his visits and some of them have made visits to him in Pennsylvania. This is just anecdotal information I've picked up reading this and that. Dr. Ambrose wrote about some of that in his "afterward" of BoB.

It seems that any time the Major travels for an event, he visits whoever is close by. The publicity rounds for BoB for a year or so had him in many places where his men have lived for years. While the connection seems to be absolute and passionate, it's not the same as the boys' swapping visits, I think. I could be wrong. Larry may have more to add to this. In any case, it's quite warming to know how much contact most seem to have.

As far as my friend Henry is concerned, he is very well, leads a very full life as a teaching MD at an eastern med school as well as the administrator of a senior care facility in the same city. In addition, he's a husband and father of a 16-year-old, a published MD and newly published poet/pen and ink artist who just completed yet another foray into NYC (his favorite) with his son looking at colleges. Whew! I hope I got all that right. Henry is just fine and remains my friend, one of the best I've met in this world of cyberfriendships.

If I get a chance I'll assemble the information on his new book so if you're interested, you can look into it. BK

#19 JBCurtin

JBCurtin

Buck Private

• Sergeant
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:24 PM

Vee, thanks for asking about Dr. Henry. I, too, had been wondering how he was doing, but was afraid to ask. Thank you, too, BK, for letting us know he is doing fine. Like everyone, I really enjoyed his postings at the HBO site and am sorry that he has not joined us here....but it sounds like he is a pretty busy man.

Joan

#20 Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Captain

• Major
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 12:45 PM

I was influenced by these guys as a kid and I am who am am today because of that influence...It is a privilege to met with them and to have spoken with many of them to say thanks.
I was surprised myself that while visiting WRAMC with Clancy to have one of the Kids just back from Iraq wounded tell me the same...brothers thru the years and different wars ....

#21 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Honorary Lions of the Lowlands

• + Paratrooper
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:41 AM

Thanks so much BK. I really hadnt looked at this before, there is so much here its hard to keep up Glad I did!

Cindy

#22 galesport

galesport

Brigadier General

• Brigadier General
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:57 AM

Susan & Bk,
We certainly appreciate all you have down through this community. It is too bad this didn't happen 20 years ago when the guys were more physically able to take travel. I could envision a tour that would have the BOb vets as the focal point for bringing all able bodied WW2 vets together. So they too could share some of the limelight as they were equally as important. As far as the Easy boys, we who communicate here daily have a fond, deep abiding relationship as we have come to know them personally, like a grandfather, father, uncle or cousin, through both the book and movie. This attention is our way of saluting them and their fallen comrades.

Regards,
Geoff

#23 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

General

• General
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

Bump for BK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users