• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Morgy

Morgy

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:15 AM

Thank you Mark for sharing this with us. What a strange moment that must have been for Daf's uncle... Full with memories.

Best to all the lil family,

Morgy

#32 Elly

Elly

Colonel

• Major
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 06:39 PM

Mark,

Thanks for sharing this unforgettable and important piece of history with us. It reminded me of the book The Diary of Anne Frank, in which Anne describes all of the horrible acts and unbelieveable new laws that were inflicted upon the Jews in Holland in the early 1940's. It always makes me sad to read about the horrors of the Holocaust, but it's important to read about them and remember what the Jews went through.

Elly

#33 Vicky

Vicky

Band of Britons

• General
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:00 PM

It's so important to read about parts of our collective history like this, no matter how difficult the subject matter is...to go some way to understanding what past generations went through.

Lest we forget.
Vicky

Edited by Vicky, 19 February 2004 - 12:04 PM.

#34 Wild Lorie

Wild Lorie

Major

• Major
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for "Bumping" this thread! My family lived and died through this time in Belguim and France. My 2nd cousin actually lived on a farm in Holland while her parents (my great aunt and uncle) hid in an attic for 3 years until they got caught and were then forced to work in a labor camp, where they actually made it out alive!
* We Shall Never Forget *
--Wild Lorie

#35 Morgy

Morgy

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:58 PM

Wild Lorie,

if you have stories of your nice family to share, I hope we'll have the chance to read some of them.

With all my respect to them,

Morgy

#36 Wild Lorie

Wild Lorie

Major

• Major
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:17 PM

Morgy-
Thanks for the interest! I'll have to post them one day soon. Maybe tomorrow afternoon... as they are predicting a big rainstorm here and I'll be at home with a blanket and soup :D
--Wild Lorie

#37 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Honorary Lions of the Lowlands

• + Paratrooper
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:13 AM

Mark & Daf,

I am just reading this for the first time. Now I have a task today to read all of it It looks to be somevery interesting reading Thank you for the opportunity to learn & re-learn...Cindy

#38 hwhap

hwhap

General

• General
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:07 PM

Although I've been a member of this board for quite awile, I hadn't read this thread before, probably because I didn't have the Premiere Paratrooper membership at the time.

You did a great job Mark. It is quite sickening to read about the proliferation of laws and regulations against the Jews, especially when you know were it was ultimately going to lead. You wish you could travel back in time and warn them all. But like you said, where were they going to go to escape this?

Vee

#39 Gerbrand

Gerbrand

Lions of the Lowlands

• Major
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:40 AM

Great pice of work Mark wonderfull to read this stuff

Gerbrand

#40 kaylabeth

kaylabeth

Captain

• Captain
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

Great work, Mark. The book you posted the excerpts from, did you have to translate into English from Dutch? If so, "good on you" as Doug would say, you did a fantastic job!

I've found this thread most interesting and informative. My husband thinks I'm morbid, but I've read mounds of material regarding the Holocaust in the past several years. I just couldn't fathom how MILLIONS were systematically put to death because of their ethnicity. HOW? WHY? It truly boggles the mind....

One more thing: it should be remembered and commented on that many, many Dutch men and women risked, and indeed, lost their lives for hiding and trying to save Jews during the war. Two of my treasured books are Corrie ten Boom's "The Hiding Place", and Diet Eman's "Things We Couldn't Say" - here's a bit from the back cover:
Things We Couldn't Say is the inspiring true story of Diet Eman, a young Dutch woman who, with her fiance, Hein Sietsma, risked everything to rescue imperiled Jews in Nazi-occupied Holland during World War II. Throughout the years that Diet and Hein aided the Resistance-work that would cost Diet her freedom and Hein his life-their courageous effort ultimately saved the lives of hundreds of Dutch Jews. Possessing all the emotional impact of "The Diary of Anne Frank" and all the drama of "The Hiding Place", Diet Eman's "Things We Couldn't Say" is an unforgettable story of heroism, faith, and-above all-love.

This book is written in first person and is based on her diaries, letters to and from her fiance, and personal recollections. Absolutely fantastic, and backs up much of what Mark posted here........if anyone ever gets the chance to read it, prepare yourself with a box of tissues!

Regards to all!

Deanna

#41 VAT69

VAT69

Lions of the Lowlands

• + Paratrooper
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:44 PM

Thank you, Deanna.

However, you give me too much credit here. I edited the excerpts and added relevant information from other books and facts I learned from my wife Daphne and what I remember from history classes at school.

Reading about the Holocaust and posting in this topic has been part of my search for answers, mainly focused on why? Indeed it boggles the mind and I'm not done in my search yet, and I don't think I ever will.

Thank you for the suggestions of the two books, which I have not read yet. Another to read is "Om erger te voorkomen (To prevent the worse) by Nanda van der Zee and the books with personal experiences of Eli Asser. However, I don't know if these authors' books have been translated in English. That's for the Dutch part. I don't think I have to mention the work of Primo Levi to you.

Thanks again, Deanna.

Mark

#42 Kourtney

Kourtney

Captain

• Captain
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:05 AM

Thank you Mark! I always learn so much from your post and you continue to amaze me! Thank you for sharing!

#43 blacksheepone

blacksheepone

Lions of the Lowlands

• Major
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:47 PM

For those who are interested I advise to look at the movie about Anne Frank....

It's quite revealing of how things went and how many Dutch people risked their own lives to save the lives of Jews by hiding them from the Germans.....

It's also a reminder of the horrors of the Holocaust.

Her story is one of the many ....

Quite a sad destiny ....

I've seen the movie just a few days ago and it moved me deeply.

#44 misako

misako

General

• General
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

Two of my treasured books are Corrie ten Boom's "The Hiding Place"

"The Hiding Place" I've read this book just how many times.... a wonderful book,
I was told about it by a friend of Brother Andrew, a Dutch missionary. Brought it with me all the way from Japan...my favourite. misako

#45 blacksheepone

blacksheepone

Lions of the Lowlands

• Major
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:20 PM

"The Hiding Place" I've read this book just how many times.... a wonderful book,
I was told about it by a friend of Brother Andrew, a Dutch missionary. Brought it with me all the way from Japan...my favourite.      misako

Yes that's the one Misako.

Really advise others too in reading the book and/or watching the movie.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users