• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 propblast

propblast

Lieutenant

• Lieutenant
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:12 AM

Can anyone help me with this question? what happened to 'salty' harris after the sobel 'mutiny'? the show and book state clearly that he was transferred out of the company after the event. i think i remember reading that he was moved to 2nd batt. HQ company but can't find where i read this.
Rendezvous with destiny has him listed as Pfc Harris 506th KIA. But "in the way we were" by michel de trez, there's a photo showing 'salty', forrest guth and carwood lipton. the photo was taken in england and the caption states that 'salty' harris was killed in training shortly after this was taken.
Also events surrounding Lt. Robert Mathews was not covered by the book, strange considering he was the only member of easy to be KIA in actual ground fighting during Normandy.I know the series shows a lot of casualties in the Carentan episode but it is still unknown whether he was killed on the jump, prior to meeting up with other members of easy, in the taking of Carentan or in the defence of the city.any info would be appreciated.

propblast.

#2 c16031_

c16031_

Major

• Major
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:48 AM

Prop, regarding Lt Mathews, I remember reading an account by Carwood Lipton on the fight for Carentan, in which he mentions that he was leading easy's 3rd platoon cause there were no officers left, Lt. Mathews havin' been KIA earlier (and Lt. Schmitz not havin' jumped at all). I'll try to find the source of that Lipton article, but for now, you can bank on the fact he wasn't killed during the Carentan battle.

OK, found the reference: Lipton's article on Carentan

Edited by c16031_, 12 March 2004 - 12:52 PM.

#3 c16031_

c16031_

Major

• Major
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 12:57 PM

Prop, I also found this for you.

Regarding SSgt Harris, he apparently was KIA in Normandy on june 18th. Check out this list where he is so listed, as a PFC (he apparently was demoted following the mutiny incident) and as a member of B company (he apparently wasn't transferred OUT of the regiment after all).

#4 LongJohn

LongJohn

Honorary Colonel

• + Paratrooper
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:16 PM

Can anyone help me with this question? what happened to 'salty' harris after the sobel 'mutiny'? the show and book state clearly that he was transferred out of the company after the event. i think i remember reading that he was moved to 2nd batt. HQ company but can't find where i read this.
Rendezvous with destiny has him listed as Pfc Harris 506th KIA. But "in the way we were" by michel de trez, there's a photo showing 'salty', forrest guth and carwood lipton. the photo was taken in england and the caption states that 'salty' harris was killed in training shortly after this was taken.
Also events surrounding Lt. Robert Mathews was not covered by the book, strange considering he was the only member of easy to be KIA in actual ground fighting during Normandy.I know the series shows a lot of casualties in the Carentan episode but it is still unknown whether he was killed on the jump, prior to meeting up with other members of easy, in the taking of Carentan or in the defence of the city.any info would be appreciated.

propblast.

Propblast,

Terrence "Salty" Harris was one of my brother's closest friends in Easy. Salty's sister Annette, who adored her older brother, was attending UC Berkeley in 1943, and because we lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, Burr arranged for me to invite her to our home, take her to the beach at Half Moon Bay, and generally keep the lovely young lady entertained. We dated several times before I enlisted in the Air Corps and left for pilot training, and I think she was with my family in San Mateo, California on D-Day. Burr was wounded at Carentan, and I'm relatively certain he told me Salty was KIA the same day and in the same action. Annette was devastated, of course; so devastated, in fact, she left UC Berkeley and we lost contact with her.

My brother often spoke of Salty Harris and how distraught he still was over his friend's death, even several years later.

Y.o.s.,

LongJohn

#5 larrya

larrya

General

• General
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:53 PM

Prop, regarding Lt Mathews, I remember reading an account by Carwood Lipton on the fight for Carentan, in which he mentions that he was leading easy's 3rd platoon cause there were no officers left, Lt. Mathews havin' been KIA earlier (and Lt. Schmitz not havin' jumped at all). I'll try to find the source of that Lipton article, but for now, you can bank on the fact he wasn't killed during the Carentan battle.

OK, found the reference: Lipton's article on Carentan

I think Matthews was KIA in Meehan's plane on D-Day. As for Schmitz, he got into a wrestling match with Winters the day before the jump and ended ujp in the hospital with 2 cracked vertebra. When he came back in July, he was transferred to F Company and was killed at Bastogne.

#6 c16031_

c16031_

Major

• Major
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:12 PM

...considering he was the only member of easy to be KIA in actual ground fighting during Normandy...

Prop, not too sure were you got that, but there were more fatalities for Easy during the Normandy campaign.

Apart from all the troopers that died on plane #66's crash at Beuzeville au Plain (Lt. Meehan's plane), there were at least these 5 other easy company troopers that were KIA in Normandy:

Pvt Robert J Bloser 6/7/44
Pfc Everett J Gray 6/8/44
Pfc Joseph M Jordan 6/6/44
Pvt Jack Swinney 6/6/44
Pfc William S Metzler 6/44

Now I don't know the circumstance of those deaths - maybe some were not the direct result of "ground fighting" (like drop related fatalities wouldn't be). The record should be set straight.

#7 c16031_

c16031_

Major

• Major
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:22 PM

I think Matthews was KIA in Meehan's plane on D-Day...

Larrya, according to the listed troopers that were killed on Lt. Meehan's plane from the commemorative plaque at Beuzeville au Plain, Lt. Mathews wasn't on that plane.
Posted Image

Regarding the incident with Lt. Schmitz, do you think you could get for us the circumstance in which this rumble developped? :D (imagine our surprise, I don't think many of us would consider the major the type to rumble)

Edited by c16031_, 12 March 2004 - 04:02 PM.

#8 larrya

larrya

General

• General
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks. I wasn't sure.

#9 McIntee

McIntee

General

• General
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 05:36 PM

The way I've heard it C, is that Schmitz was very nervous before the big jump and kept nagging Winters to wrestle. He finally gave in and they went outside to wrestle and hey presto, Schmitz injured himself.

#10 c16031_

c16031_

Major

• Major
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:37 PM

The way I've heard it C, is that Schmitz was very nervous before the big jump and kept nagging Winters to wrestle. He finally gave in and they went outside to wrestle and hey presto, Schmitz injured himself.

OK. So then, it was just an innocent thing. Wonder why Schmitz would have been transfered to F company though (especially since Lipton states HE was leading 3rd platoon for lack of an officer early in the Normandy campaign)...

#11 larrya

larrya

General

• General
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:29 PM

OK. So then, it was just an innocent thing. Wonder why Schmitz would have been transfered to F company though (especially since Lipton states HE was leading 3rd platoon for lack of an officer early in the Normandy campaign)...

Schmitz did not fight in the Normandy campaign because of the injury. He was transferred to F Company to avoid any resentment between Winters and Schmitz over the incident. And yes, Schmitz did harangue Winters to wrestle, and Winters put him off for as long as possible. Winters wrestled in high school (he would have in college, too, if he'd have had the spare time for sports) and loved the sport, so Schmitz was outlcassed. That's why Winters put him off.

#12 propblast

propblast

Lieutenant

• Lieutenant
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:34 AM

Prop, not too sure were you got that, but there were more fatalities for Easy during the Normandy campaign.

Apart from all the troopers that died on plane #66's crash at Beuzeville au Plain (Lt. Meehan's plane), there were at least these 5 other easy company troopers that were KIA in Normandy:

Pvt Robert J Bloser    6/7/44
Pfc Everett J Gray  6/8/44
Pfc Joseph M Jordan  6/6/44
Pvt Jack Swinney      6/6/44
Pfc William S Metzler 6/44

Now I don't know the circumstance of those deaths - maybe some were not the direct result of "ground fighting" (like drop related fatalities wouldn't be). The record should be set straight.

first of all thanks for the replies everyone!

i should have stated that i was speaking about the vagueness of some of the information that we read, not the actual t.v series. i know that there were more KIAs in normandy hence the list at the end of "we stand alone together" and the scene with sgt. malarkey in the laundry after normandy.
unfortunately the book mentions a list of "all" the KIAs in normandy on page 105 and Lt.Mathews is the only member noted there that was'nt in stick 66.a total of 18 men. and no mention of the other men throughout the book, a travesty.
as for 'salty' Harris the same confusion was caused by conflicting accounts. surely a training accident which resulted in a fatality would be easy to recall and verify before putting into print.
maybe, and this probably is way off the mark, but could they've mistaken him with pvt.Rudolph Dittrich who was killed during training.we'll probably never know.

by the way 1Lt Raymond Schmitz returned after his wrestling injuries to lead 3rd platoon Fox company in Holland. unfortunately he was killed on the 23rd sept when a burning British truck he was passing exploded.

#13 propblast

propblast

Lieutenant

• Lieutenant
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:49 AM

sorry my mistake 1Lt Schmitz KIA 22/9/1944 not the 23rd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users