• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#46 bamapt

bamapt

Honorary Lions of the Lowlands

• Colonel
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 01:21 AM

Blithe doesn't bother me. I'm sure he was distracting to others, but he does finally get his ducks in a row. (Do you know the scene in Saving Private Ryan where the guy who was like the unit translator/radio guy is on the stairs and his friends are in the street getting killed and he just sits there? Now THAT bothers me. I get so angry. Ok, sorry for the aside.)

I love the Malarkey scene-it makes me cry every time. I think it really brings it home how costly it was.

#47 Dirigoboy

Dirigoboy

General

• General
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 05:03 PM

I can't say that his accent struck me as southern per se, just rural. At least, that is what his character projected to me I guess. Most guys in the service hailing from the cities were alot more street wise and savvy. I think the reverse to be true of guys raised in the country, though I don't believe in the typical stereotyping often seen in film that projects that.

I had no idea that the real Blithe was from Philly, it's a wonder that Guarnere or Heffron didn't know him huh? Seems like those guys could sniff each other out.

I can tell you from personal experience that I served with more than a few Blithe's in the service and I don't think I'm alone. Also, there may have been two Blithe's in the 506th. The first Blithe that performed ably enough because it was training, and the latter Blithe who's performance was questionable once under fire.

#48 Dirigoboy

Dirigoboy

General

• General
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 05:09 PM

Though this might not belong here, I also wanted to comment on another scene which paralleled the laundry scene with Malarkey, which I thought very well done.

My personal favorite was the narrative of Lipton as he's writing in the company log(or diary?), sitting in a church lit by candles, choir in the background, and we see the casualties disappear from the pews in front of our eyes. That scene was one of the most poignant to me.

#49 marto

marto

Foxhole Company

• Buck Private
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 12:22 AM

I have been reading all the posts here with interest (great site, by the way). BoB has not long screened here in Australia, and I got the video set for Christmas. It is an amazing piece of work, the entire series.

Just a thought - the scene in Carentan where Winters and Nixon exchange looks after being asked whether it was safe to cross the road - Winters gets hit by a ricochet only a few seconds later. I felt this was a small reminder that this was a war zone, and nowhere was really safe. Winters reacts with almost disgust to getting hit - yes it hurts, but he has just assured someone else that it was safe, and now he has been wounded standing in exactly the same spot only seconds later.

Janine

#50 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:34 AM

I also liked the bit where Strayer crosses the road in Carentan, with Nixon and Winters trading looks. Bob Strayer is not exactly "leading by example." He lets other guys take the risks for him.

It probably happened, and it's probably unfair to Strayer, but it's still a good scene.

#51 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 12:28 PM

I loved the Winters-Strayer-Nixon bit: a great example, one of many, of the impact of understated acting in this series.

We were informed on the BoB tour that the Winters-Strayers exchange did happen, and that it happened right outside the arched collonnade depicted there (great bit of detail), which we also visited in Carentan, but that Nix was not present at the time.

My sense of Winters' reaction was not that he was angry at himself. He certainly was not in the business of guaranteeing safety to anyone in a combat zone, not his C.O, and not himself. I thought he was simply angry that it hurt, as when you stub your toe, and that it was gonna get in the way of doing his job. "I haven't got time for this." In fact, I thought Winters' reaction was quite novel as a take on being wounded; whether that was an acting or directing choice, it was well done.

My thunks. y.o.s., Doug

#52 marigold

marigold

Foxhole Company

• General
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:54 PM

LOL! I love the looks on Nixon and Winters' face in that scene!!! :D

gold

#53 roma

roma

Foxhole Company

• General
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 08:11 AM

I'm sure I won't be saying anything new to you all here--but it just amazes me how I can watch these episodes more than a few times (!!!) and still have questions or see new things when I just pop it in again...
Ok, I was wathing Carentan again last night...and I have some questions..
1. I know I recognize this guy--but who is --and where have I seen him before--the actor who asks Welsh where they're headed--right around when Hoobler says he'll lead...and when Welsh tells our boy Luz not be playing "grab fanny" with anyone... I know this guy from somewhere.

2. What does More ask Spiers when Spiers tell them to not get comfortable b/c we're moving out.. not the part when he asks, "don't they know we're just getting settled here.." or something like that--but before that.. (I think More has been lurking about my foxhole...I think I might offer him an invitation while I loan out Lipton... :D )

Have a good one!

---J

#54 marigold

marigold

Foxhole Company

• General
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 08:32 AM

J, that person was Boyle.
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but here's a little of that scene:
Speirs: Enjoy it while it lasts. Weíll be moviní out soon
More: Out of town Lt.? Already?
Speirs: Thatís right
More: Donít they know weíre just getting settled here?
Muck: Nice groucho!
More: What?
Muck: Real smart. You know youíre taking your life in your own hands. Ainít that right?
Hope that helps...
Guess who wants to loan Lipton?

gold :D

#55 cat

cat

Foxhole Company

• Major General
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:56 AM

Nice job Gold!

Roma,

You're loaning out Lipton? To whom? I'll take him! :D

Kelly

#56 roma

roma

Foxhole Company

• General
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:24 PM

Boyle? Has that actor been in anything else that would make me think he's familiar?
--J

#57 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 01:51 PM

Jonelle, Nigel Hoyle was not familiar to me -- check his imdb profile, not very enlightening.

You goils keep that drooly foxhole stuff outta the Mini-Series boards -- er else!! BK :D

#58 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:35 PM

LOL! I love the looks on Nixon and Winters' face in that scene!!!  :D

gold

Bob Strayer died last year, so he lived long enough to attend Easy Company reunions and see the book...

I wonder what he thought of that particular scene?

I'd also like to know what Bob Strayer might have had to say about Captain Sobel's relief and Lt. Jones's promotions.

#59 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:10 PM

BK, thanks for putting up some yellow tape around the episode boards. OFF LIMITS!

Thanks, BK

#60 VanessaBinder

VanessaBinder

General

• General
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:00 PM

As the battle begins in Carentan, Tipper is hurt very badly by (taking a guess here, Mortar) and Liebgott upon seeing him, holds in and assures him everythings going to be ok. I am just so amazed at how these guys were just there for one another and how Liebgott was so calm. Tipper was really hurt, and instead of being squimish or just calling for a Medic, Liebgott was really there for his buddy. This type of devotion is very apparent when the real BoB Vets are discussing experiences before each eps. Regards, Vanessa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users