• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#61 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:06 PM

Historically, Tipper was standing in the door of the building and hit by a mortar. The production has him in the middle of a house hit by something much bigger.

#62 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:21 PM

LOL! I love the looks on Nixon and Winters' face in that scene!!!  :)

gold

Bob Strayer died last year, so he lived long enough to attend Easy Company reunions and see the book...

I wonder what he thought of that particular scene?

I'd also like to know what Bob Strayer might have had to say about Captain Sobel's relief and Lt. Jones's promotions.

It's been a while since I read the book and maybe I'm having a brain cramp or something ....but wasn't the Lt. Jones character fictional??? :D

#63 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:53 PM

No, Sue. Lt. Jones was the real deal. I'd love to know what he did later in life. But apparently he got reasonable marks from the Easy fellas. Not an easy thing for a green Looie (and West Point man at that) to earn at that particular stage of their ordeal. But I've never read any more about him other than Stephen Ambrose's mention that he was at HQ later. Shoot, so was "Where's my foxhole?" -- so maybe that's not the best recommendation!! BK

#64 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:55 PM

My vague memory is that Babe didn't have any particular criticisms of Jones. Which must have meant that he kept out of the way. Tony?

#65 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:34 AM

Thanks, BK. I don't know why I thought he was fictional. My mind is just blank on Lt. Jones for some reason. I had gone to look at the book before I came back to the board and I can't find it. :) :D Time to tear the house apart tomorrow.

Sue

#66 STRIKEHOLD

STRIKEHOLD

General

• General
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:40 AM

Imagine how tough it must have been for a young kid just out of West Point to try to lead men that had been through what Easy Company had. He must have had some ability....

#67 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:47 AM

Smart, observant, serious and silent -- until otherwise was warranted. I'll wager those are the career men who took the services into and beyond the Cold War. They had great role models in the last several months of World War II. Especially among the Non-Coms.

That's a tip of the cap, ala Stephen Ambrose. BK

#68 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

General

• General
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:05 AM

Doug ,

I will ask Babe, my recollections are similar. I don't think Babe or any of them wanted to spend much time wid dem guyz.

Yowser !
Jiggersfromsphilly

#69 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:09 PM

Just watched Carentan again last night, and I did not realize that Blithe was from Philadelphia.

Clearly, the character "Blithe" in the series is like the series' "O'Keefe," a composite of a bunch of extremely scared young paratroopers identified as "Blithe" for his hysterical blindness incident.

The fact that the credits have his death wrong is a disservice to that paratrooper and his family. :D

Otherwise, a terrific episode.

#70 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:18 PM

Actually, David, no. Major Winters has a very specific memory of Albert Blithe, and told me that the series depiction of him was accurate throughout. Even though his accent and the story of his death were not.

Not the answer I expected. The truth of Blithe's death simply was not known to the other vets or to Dr. Ambrose. I'm guessing that they changed Blithe's accent so as not to have too many from South Philly.

#71 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:12 AM

Actually, David, no.  Major Winters has a very specific memory of Albert Blithe, and told me that the series depiction of him was accurate throughout.  Even though his accent and the story of his death were not.

Not the answer I expected.  The truth of Blithe's death simply was not known to the other vets or to Dr. Ambrose.  I'm guessing that they changed Blithe's accent so as not to have too many from South Philly.

In that case, I sit corrected. I got fooled by the southern accent and the error on his death.

#72 STRIKEHOLD

STRIKEHOLD

General

• General
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:49 PM

When Blithe is staring at the sky and is met by the other troopers near the gliders. It reminded me of the "Saving Private Ryan" scene where the Rangers are going through the Dog Tags. Looks like the same set.

#73 blizj1

blizj1

Sergeant

• Sergeant
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:17 PM

I always thought that it was odd how Blithe chose Speirs to talk about his D-Day experience. If I was there Speirs would probably be the last person I would tell that to. Especially with the reputation that Speirs was carrying. :D

#74 STRIKEHOLD

STRIKEHOLD

General

• General
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:24 PM

I thought that was odd also! I thought Speirs at the least was going to jump into that foxhole and give him a couple of slaps. Now Major Winters was a good choice to talk to. It seems like he could inspire you.

#75 marigold

marigold

Foxhole Company

• General
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 10:29 PM

That really happened didn't it? But i think i read somewhere that what Speirs said wasn't what he really said though...

gold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users