• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Honorary Lions of the Lowlands

• + Paratrooper
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

I havent found a lot of information about his time in the military. I looked up a little on the 8th INF Div..I get a little lost in the way they assign reassign etc.. so I thought this might be a good starting point.

Captain Kris Kristofferson, USA, son of an Air Force Major-General, an acclaimed actor and three-time Grammy Award-winning Singer and Songwriter. He was an infantry captain, airborne ranger, and helicopter pilot with the 8th Infantry Division.

Airborne

1958 - 1973
(Source: Annual Historical Report, 1958-59, HQ USAREUR)
The Restationing of the Airborne Battle Groups

On 1 July 1958, the 11th Airborne Division was redesignated as the 24th Infantry Division. The division remained responsible for providing the airborne elements of Army Task Force 201, consisting of two airborne battle groups, a composite artillery battalion, and a quartermaster parachute company. To enable the 24th Division to comply with this requirement, it was organized as a composite division with a strength of 14,311, whereas the standard infantry division was composed of 13,580 personnel.

At the time of the Lebanon operation, when part of ATF 201 was deployed to the Middle East and the 24th Division was reduced by over 2,200 personnel, plans were prepared to shift the burden of supporting the task force to the 8th Infantry Division, which was earmarked as the reserve division. The potential reduction in the combat capability of the reserve was considered as the lesser of two evils. But the entire problem would be eliminated if the Department of the Army approved General Hodes' recommendation to transfer the primary Army responsibility for supporting contingency plans in the Middle East to the Strategic Army Corps in the United States. However, the Department of the Army not only refused to relieve USAREUR of its Middle East support mission, but also indicated that the planned gyroscope of the 504th and 505th Airborne Battle Groups could not be canceled.

As a result, the 8th Infantry Division was reorganized as a composite division on 1 December 1958, so that it could assume the airborne support responsibility hitherto held by the 24th Infantry Division. On 21 December 1958, the 504th Airborne Battle Group of the 8th Division replaced the 503rd Abn BG of the 24th Division as Force BRAVO and one month later the 505th Abn BG of the 8th Division relieved the 187th Abn BG of the 24th Division as Force ALPHA. On 5 February 1959, the 24th Infantry Division was reorganized as a standard infantry division.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airborne units assigned to the 8th Infantry Division in the PENTOMIC configuration (1958-1963):
UNIT DESIGNATION
STATION COMMENTS
1st ABN BG, 504th Inf Lee Bks, Mainz [1] [3]
1st ABN BG, 505th Inf Lee Bks, Mainz [2]

[1] The unit was redesignated as the 1st Airborne Battle Group, 504th Infantry on 1 September 1957. On 12 December 1958, the 1/504 became part of the 8th Infantry Division and was based at Lee Barracks, in Mainz-Gonsenheim, Germany. On 1 April 1963, the battalion was relieved from assignment to the 8th Inf Div and assigned to the 82nd ABN Div.
[2] Co A, 505th Abn Inf was reorganized and redesignated as the 1st Airborne Battle Group, 505th Infantry on 1 September 1957. On 15 January 1959, the 1/505 became a part of the 8th Infantry Division and was based at Lee Barracks, in Mainz-Gonsenheim, Germany. On 1 April 1963, the battalion was relieved from assignment to the 8th Inf Div and assigned to the 82nd ABN Div.
[3] It appears that some or all airborne units moved to Rhein Kaserne in Biebrich (Wiesbaden) at some point, maybe during the Berlin Crisis, 1961.

#2 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

I did a little checking. It appears that KK signed up after Oxford in around 1960. He did earn a Ranger tab and jumpwings and did fly helicopters in Germany. His next offered assignment was to teach English at West Point (English major at Pomona (Blake) and further studies at Oxford), but he opted to get out of the Army and pursue songwriting instead sometime in the middle '60s.

He also boxed at Pomona and Oxford.

#3 seanx

seanx

Major

• Major
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

It may be implied to those of you who know, but it bears saying that he was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford as well. He has a new record out right now, and he's always been one of my more favorite songwriters.

#4 misako

misako

General

• General
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

I always thought he was lovely in films as well as when singing but I was not aware of all this. Interesting. Thank you, everyone.

#5 Londo

Londo

Major

• Major
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

Here’s the words to one of his songs. One of my favourites of his.

The Pilgrim; Chapter 33

See him wasted on the sidewalk in his jacket and his jeans,
Wearin’ yesterday’s misfortunes like a smile--
Once he had a future full of money, love, and dreams,
Which he spent like they was goin’ outa style--
And he keeps right on a’changin’ for the better or the worse,
Searchin’ for a shrine he’s never found--
Never knowin’ if believin’ is a blessin’ or a curse,
Or if the goin’ up was worth the comin’ down--

Chorus:
He’s a poet, he’s a picker--
He’s a prophet, he’s a pusher--
He’s a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he’s stoned--
He’s a walkin’ contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction,
Takin’ ev’ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home.

He has tasted good and evil in your bedrooms and your bars,
And he’s traded in tomorrow for today--
Runnin’ from his devils, lord, and reachin’ for the stars,
And losin’ all he’s loved along the way--
But if this world keeps right on turnin’ for the better or the worse,
And all he ever gets is older and around--
>from the rockin’ of the cradle to the rollin’ of the hearse,
The goin’ up was worth the comin’ down--

Chorus:
He’s a poet, he’s a picker--
He’s a prophet, he’s a pusher--
He’s a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he’s stoned--
He’s a walkin’ contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction,
Takin’ ev’ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home.
There’s a lotta wrong directions on that lonely way back home.

#6 EmersonBigguns

EmersonBigguns

Eddie Van Halen ;-)

• + Paratrooper
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

he's always been one of my more favorite songwriters.

Fantastic songwriter......I cringe when he sings though...... :) ....it's acquired taste I guess. Just like his pal Willie. I was unare he was a veteran until y'all posted this thread. Thanks for the info.... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users