70 replies to this topic

#1 Morgy

Morgy

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:51 AM

Hey here!

Just a quick question. If I'm not mistaken, at the end of episode#3, it is told that Mr. Blithe never recovered totally his health and that he passed away in 1948.
But I think I saw one day a picture of his cross and it was written "1967" on it. But I don't remember where I saw it and so can't check. Can anybody clarify my confusion ?
Awww, how insane I seem... :D

All the best,

Morgy

#2 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 12:35 PM

The production was wrong. We were informed via these boards by a Blithe family member that he lived until the '60's, and, I think, fought in Korea. I mentioned this to Major Winters, and he said "Yes, we just learned that."

Dr. Ambrose and the production depended heavily upon the E Company network for news about the post-war lives of the men. And while the network was extremely good, it was not infallible.

Part of the fun of history is trying to sort through evidence to get the best picture possible. And then, new evidence emerges that forces a reevaluation. So, with Pvt. Blithe.

#3 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

General

• General
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 05:47 PM

I saw a posting on the Doc Roe site or on Mark Bando's site Triggertime, That had pictures of Mr. Blithe and showed his employee badge from Westinghouse Electric in Southwest Philadelphia from the 60's. Amazing another member of Easy from Philly. Anyway check these two sites out and they will give you more info.

YOWSER !
Jiggersfromsphilly

#4 Morgy

Morgy

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the answers ! :D

#5 usjumper82

usjumper82

Major

• Major
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 03:13 PM

As I work on my book, I'm reminded everyday that history is a real detective game. Veteran recollections are not always the most reliable source. A good combination of veteran interviews and official documentation usually helps to clear up the picture a bit. There will always be a little fact here or there that escapes detection.

#6 STRIKEHOLD

STRIKEHOLD

General

• General
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 03:22 PM

As I work on my book, I'm reminded everyday that history is a real detective game.  Veteran recollections are not always the most reliable source.  A good combination of veteran interviews and official documentation usually helps to clear up the picture a bit.  There will always be a little fact here or there that escapes detection.

I agree... Some Vets just don't care to remember. It was their war and then they went home and made a life. However, once in awhile you get a vet who has a photographic memory and is a good story teller! They are true gems!

Jim

#7 Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy

Major

• Major
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 11:40 AM

A little teaser. I think it's this episode. About the time when Winters gets his hit in the leg a soldier appears on a white horse with a message. Is it me or is that the Lt. who was leading the actors in their Boot Camp?
We all know Cpt Dale Dye went on to play Colonel Sink, is this another cameo?

regards

#8 jtag

jtag

Major

• Basic Training
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 01:16 PM

Yup, that's Sgt. Freddie Joe Farnsworth, beloved by Ron Livingston, and a bigger case of "Ack I'm on camera"-itis you've never seen yet on HBO. :D

jay

#9 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 05:12 PM

I think when HBO re-releases the Carentan episode, they should change the graphic about Blithe. Same thing for DVD and tape releases. They could add a few lines:

"Rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated..."

#10 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:18 PM

David, unfortunately, HBO has shown very little inclination to tweak the production in any way. John Orloff, who wrote Ep. 9, was incensed that the date was wrong -- by a month -- on the opening screen of that Ep. In October, 2001. It was never changed.

#11 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

General

• General
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:01 PM

Dear Mac Dougal,

Since you are in touch with the writers , is there any possibility of a directors cut that would address some of the shortcommings of the series?

Currahee !
Jiggersfromsphilly

#12 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:09 PM

Tony, my contact with the writers is extremely, extremely tenuous. But Orloff was kicking up a storm over a year ago and it didn't phase the production people. And it really matters, because the dates simply don't work.

I'll put in a plug if I can. Maybe, just maybe, if the DVD sales persuade the powers that be that a directors cut makes commercial sense, there's a chance. But I'm afraid that, as non-Hollywood as the production was in the first instance, we're knocking on a closed door.

Maybe after the CMOH campaign is won, a BOB revision campaign would make sense.

Thanks, Tony. y.o.s., Doug

#13 jtag

jtag

Major

• Basic Training
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:21 PM

That's a shame. I know HBO is proud, justly so, of the series -- "greatest WWII film narrative ever" it has been called by many, well by me -- but they do it no service by issuing DVD editions with the mistakes still there. I mean the Blithe death date at the very least!

#14 marigold

marigold

Foxhole Company

• General
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 11:46 PM

Nobody and nothing is perfect, including movies :) "irregardless", BoB is still the best! :D

gold

#15 cat

cat

Foxhole Company

• Major General
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 11:54 PM

right no matter the mistakes BOB is still tops in my list!!!

Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users