• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 04:27 PM

Nobody and nothing is perfect, including movies  :P  "irregardless", BoB is still the best!  :)

gold

"Irregardless" is one of my pet peeves with the show. But Like you said gold, nothing and nobody is perfect. :D

Sue

#17 STRIKEHOLD

STRIKEHOLD

General

• General
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 04:40 PM

A directors cut! Would be cool! I wish they had some of the cuts on the DVD so you could see what they did not put in.

Jim

#18 jtag

jtag

Major

• Basic Training
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:36 PM

I always thought they used "irregardless" intentionally to show how pretentious the Sobel character was. Coming right there, after being practically caught making up the charges (I phoned, sir there is no telephone, etc.) then he says "Irregardless" and I said "You phony!" :D

I'd pay for a special edition DVD with scenes that didn't make it due to time constraints! Or (gasp) the Unedited Edition: Ron's Video Diaries! Feauturing the dramatic escape of Matthew Settle and Eion Bailey from the iron clutches of Heathrow Airport Security!

jay

#19 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:39 PM

Yup, Jay, "irregardless" is a comment on the Sobel character.

"Don't irrigate me" is a quote from the real Wild Bill.

#20 STRIKEHOLD

STRIKEHOLD

General

• General
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:59 PM

Yup, Jay, "irregardless" is a comment on the Sobel character.

"Don't irrigate me" is a quote from the real Wild Bill.

I liked when the Wild Bill character asked Webster what do they call one of them letters. Webster says a dear John letter and Bill says yea, "A dear Babe letter". Just one of the many little things that made this series so good.

Jim

#21 Hanley

Hanley

Major

• Major
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:49 PM

This was a great series, even if their were a few mistakes. Nothing is perfect.
I read about Blithe somewhere living into the 60's. I also heard that he was really shot in the shoulder! :D The information came from a family member. I think he was trying t clear matters up!

The series, I think, will always be the greatest war/drama ever made!

#22 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Lord of the Weasels

• + Paratrooper
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 08:28 AM

I always thought they used "irregardless" intentionally to show how pretentious the Sobel character was. Coming right there, after being practically caught making up the charges (I phoned, sir there is no telephone, etc.) then he says "Irregardless" and I said "You phony!"  :D

I'd pay for a special edition DVD with scenes that didn't make it due to time constraints! Or (gasp) the Unedited Edition: Ron's Video Diaries! Feauturing the dramatic escape of Matthew Settle and Eion Bailey from the iron clutches of Heathrow Airport Security!

jay

I think that was to show Sobel's pretensions.

My favorite part of the Livingston diaries was when George Luz whispers to the camera, "We are so ****ed!"

That and arriving at Heathrow, and Ron showing his camera to his girlfriend. That was a hoot. :D

#23 VanessaBinder

VanessaBinder

General

• General
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 12:24 PM

This was a great series, even if their were a few mistakes. Nothing is perfect.
I read about Blithe somewhere living into the 60's. I also heard that he was really shot in the shoulder! :D  The information came from a family member. I think he was trying t clear matters up!

The series, I think, will always be the greatest war/drama ever made!

Hanley,

I also believe that Blithe did not die in '48, but lived beyond the 40s. However, I recently had the honor of attending a "briefing" with Joe Lesniewski, Forrest Guth, and Ed Joint and Joe was on the patrol where Blithe got hit. My interpretation of Blithe being wounded per Joe was that it was in the neck. Joe said the wound was about the size of his fist. Hard to imagine that, lots of blood too.

Anyway, that was my take on it. Vanessa

#24 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 02:18 PM

Hanley, Herewith, the last discussion on Blithe. BK

http://forums.wildbi...=80

#25 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:39 PM

And the discussion continues ...

Posted by his son Gordon, who says he just shakes his head when he reads all that has been speculated about his father. I can't say that I blame him. BK

Attached Files

Edited by homefront41, 17 June 2004 - 10:49 PM.

#26 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,616 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:55 PM

AMAZING, BK! Do we have a date on this?

#27 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:04 PM

Extrapolating:

Albert Blithe
Born: June 25, 1923 in Philadelphia, PA
Wounded: June 25, 1944 in France.

Received Purple Heart for his wounds on June 29, 1944. Released from Army Hospitals on: October 8, 1945. He returned to Philadelphia and started a career with Westinghouse Electric. He was called back to active duty; served in the Korean War and achieved the rank of Master Sergeant.

I make it late 1961, early 1962. BK

#28 larrya

larrya

General

• General
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:14 PM

Albert Blithe died Dec. 17, 1967 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

#29 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:17 PM

That's amazing! I knew he'd lived and gone on to Korea but that just floors me. The man I couldn't figure out why he wasn't taken off the front line went on to make over 600 jumps. And after being seriously wounded. Who'd a thunk it? My humblest apologies to the memory of Albert Blithe.

Sue

Edited by hooper117, 15 July 2003 - 10:19 PM.

#30 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:21 PM

We know, Larry. But we don't know much about his life after the War, except for those notes above. So this news clip is something new. BK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users