• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 Norseman

Norseman

Major

• Major
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:04 PM

Sue, I guess you asked the question I asked at about the same time.  I hold all of the medical corp in very high regard, from the time of the civil war , when they were actually not held in high esteem, up throught time and all the wars and conflicts they have participated in.  WW2 made significant advances in medicine and prehospital treatment of wounds and disease.  Korea started the MASH units and Vietnam incorporated many more inovative treatment modalities, some of which are used in the field today in the delivery of prehospital care.  Doc Roe , at times, seems to be shocked and frozen for a brief moment but I like his style and approach when he runs to Blithe to render aid, he is the man of the moment and will face fire and injury himself to give aid to all he can.  Improvisation is always a must, scrounging for all you can get is absolute!!  WHen he stops to start an IV on, I think Sgt. Toye, after the man is dragged by his straps for a long distance, that is composure, poise and desire and those few moments to do what he did with bombs, bullets and all hell breaking loose, he is held in high regard.  Sorry this is too long..  Norse.

#32 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:11 PM

Paul, thanks very much for the gracious comments.  I will definitely relay to Dad.  y.o.s., Doug

#33 Norseman

Norseman

Major

• Major
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:15 PM

Hi, Norse here and I need a bit of a hand up..Does anyone know where I can find or if it can be created, a medics helmet with the red and white on each side of the helmet.. Perhaps a patch I can download and add to this forum.  I appreciate all answers,  thanks again,  Norse.

#34 Norseman

Norseman

Major

• Major
  • 412 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 09:16 PM

Paul, you must be a writer, very eloquent.  Norse.

#35 ladymadonna

ladymadonna

Brigadier General

• Major General
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 12:16 AM

Congrats on the pomotion Norse!

Donna :D

#36 Norseman

Norseman

Major

• Major
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Donna,  I am going to have to build more time to read all the news posts that are added in just one day!!   :D

#37 Daffie

Daffie

Lions of the Lowlands

• Colonel
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 02:56 AM

Congrats on the promotion Norse :D
Sir, yes sir

#38 ladymadonna

ladymadonna

Brigadier General

• Major General
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 03:01 AM

Norse, I know what you mean.  I find myself getting up earlier and earlier every day.  I'm hoping we have bad weather this weekend, so I can justify staying in and keeping up to date with the latest happenings on the board!

Donna

#39 sonofwildbill

sonofwildbill

Captain

• WBG Staff
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 07:47 AM

This is my feeling on how Wild Bill feels about all this. When I sit down with him usually once a week and talk to him, our conversations range from fast food to Sobel. I ask him how he feels, and if he's tired from all the running around he does all day and night. He always says no but i don't believe him all the time. Remember this guy runs around on crutches all day. He cannot believe that so many people have so much interest in all of this. He gets many letters a day both on this forum and through the mail. He enjoys all the mail but do to volume he cannot write everyone back. He does write as much as he can so please be patient. He also is overwhelmed that so many young children have a new sense of world war 2.  All in all I guess he's enjoying the ride. So keep those cards and letters coming. Wild Bill is up and running. Thanks Gene.

#40 ladymadonna

ladymadonna

Brigadier General

• Major General
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 08:16 AM

Gene, thanks very much for keeping us up to date with your fathers activities (which seem to be plenty!) and his thoughts on the overwhelming interest there is in him.

From the bottom of my heart I'd like to thank you and your family for sharing this with us and thank you for passing our correspondence to him.  I can quite imagine that the volume of mail he receives is huge as I know there must be so many people like me who, after hearing his story, felt compelled to reach out and say thank you.

I just feel priviliged that through this site I've been able to get in touch and express my gratitude.  Thank you once again.

Donna

PS.  Is Babe Heffron doing OK.  I know he wasn't well for a while there and hope he is recovering.

#41 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 12:07 PM

I watched Carentan once again last night and it really hit me how very different Speirs and Winters are.Both great leaders and both really seem to care about their men.But just so opposite in character.Speirs tells Blithe he has to be without compassion,without remorse to be an effective soldier.And then we see Winters who is so filled with compassoin and remorse and yet who was a better soldier than Winters??Funny how two leaders with such different outlooks on war and probably life in general were able to be effective and so very respected by their men.Easy co. was certainly lucky in having these men(not to mention Welsh who I paid much more attention to this time)as their leaders.  Sue

#42 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 12:15 PM

OOps! I forgot Speirs wasn't in Easy here.Was it Dog co?Sue ???

#43 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 12:25 PM

Sue, it was Dog, but he does get around, doesn't he?  Excellent perceptions on the different modes of being an effective officer.

#44 Jimmydoorknobs

Jimmydoorknobs

General

• General
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 03:12 PM

Gene, Let me chime in it would be great to hear what your father thought of Blithe and the way he was depicted

#45 sonofwildbill

sonofwildbill

Captain

• WBG Staff
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 10:05 PM

Jimmy, I'm going to try and pin him down tomorrow about Blythe if he's around. Gene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users