• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#46 psumner

psumner

General

• General
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 12:12 AM

Gene, could you also ask him that Capt. Sobel question? I hope you remember it, it was one of my first posts.

Thanks.
Paul

#47 hooper117

hooper117

Foxhole Company

• + Paratrooper
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 12:53 AM

Congrats sergeant JimmyDoorKnobs!
I will be interested to hear what Wild Bill has to say on Blithe's dipiction and how he felt about Sobel after the war.Poor man wouldn't know what hit him if we could ask him all the things we want to know.Hopefully one or two questions every week or so will be okay. :D Sue

#48 Guest_p51mustang_*

Guest_p51mustang_*
  • Spy

Posted 03 May 2002 - 02:48 PM

just a quick question ,I know Tipper survived but what were the extent of his wounds and was it a shoe mine that he stepped on or something else ? thanks

Ryan

#49 ladymadonna

ladymadonna

Brigadier General

• Major General
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 03:01 PM

I think Tipper's injuries were the result of a mortar attack.  re; his injuries I think he broke both his legs from what I remember of the book.  I'm sure others may be able to elaborate.

Donna

#50 amallard

amallard

Major

• Major
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 05:57 AM

My dear fellow Troopers

I see this topic hasn't been touched for a while (although its probably gone somewhere else!), so thought we could bring it to life again.

My observation is also about Albert Blithe.

In BofB ep 3, DM collects his pressed clothing having returned to the UK from Normandy. The scene is all about a reflection to the fallen and ends with AB's parcel. He died (very sadly)from his injuries in 1948, but on the parcel, what looks like his service number (and please correct me if my eyesight is failing me!) appear to be written the numbers: 1, 9, 4, 8!.

Is there a message here or were they the last 4 of his SN?

Just a thought!

Aye

Andy M

#51 Luz

Luz

Major

• + Paratrooper
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:19 AM

Wow, you must have great eyesight, very perseptive!

That's a interesting point, could be a message. Otherwise, why would you have the last 4 numbers of his SM on there? Why not the first 4, or all of it?

Well spotted :D

Di.

#52 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 07:33 AM

Andy, I saw that too, and asked about it over on the HBO boards. I think the reply I received was that it was just -- by coincidence -- Blithe's service number.

But it is a tribute to the detail of the production that we can legitimately wonder whether the writers were making some kind of Karmic point. As perhaps they were . . .

Good catch, Andy

#53 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 10:52 AM

Just so you know, Andy, a lot of the first Carentan Forum was lost shortly after it was started. Gino restarted with this one:

http://forums.wildbi...wtopic=527&st=0

and then the CyberStorm of November '02 lost posts from mid-June through mid-November. But you'll still find lots of discussion about Blithe and the long trail to learn about his post-war life.

Edited by homefront41, 19 July 2003 - 10:55 AM.

#54 amallard

amallard

Major

• Major
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for that BK, Blithe does intrique me - I'll take a look

Andy M

#55 appell8

appell8

General

• + Paratrooper
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:54 PM

Repeating my review of Ep. 3 from the 2002 re-airing, and my father's review. Both copied from earlier in the thread.

Among the things I liked about the ep was that we see character traits and relationships consistently emerging.

Harry Welsh, an officer who LEADS (thanks to BK for the insight). We see his "Follow Me" spirit when he sprints toward the T intersection in Carentan, not realizing that he is alone but for Luz until they find cover. Then he's the one who grenades the most prominent MG. And that terrific scene wth the jagdpanzer. No wonder Winters likes him, and we see some gentle teasing between them. "Hurts." "War is Hell."

Winters, the dutiful officer who is furious that the troopers don't charge Carentan behind Harry and angry when "officers crap out on their training," I guess because D Co. hadn't kept a guide back. Winters the kind, who reassures Blithe, and then cajoles him into firing his M-1. Winters the cheerleader, moving back and forth behind his men supporting them.

Nix the wiseass. Wonderful exchange of glances with Winters when Strayer demands reassurance that the street is clear while Winters and Nix are standing in it-- this, the same Strayer who demanded that Easy charge into the MG fire at Carentan. Classic comment to Harry about not expecting to get back to England.

Shifty the sharpshooter. He's the one behind the corner in Carentan shooting and hitting consistently until pinned by MG fire.

Liebgott: we see much of his nasty side later, so it's redeeming to see him cradling Tipper, who later gave Liebgott credit for his survival.

Out of time now. Will post more later. y.o.s., Doug

received the following review of Ep. 3 today from my father, aka, Lt. C.H. Jordan, K Co., 3rd Batt., 47th Inf., 9th Division. My annotations in brackets.

DOUG,

I listened carefully to the sounds. The sounds of the weapons firing are accurately portrayed except, possibly, the German MG's sounded a little slow. They BURPED as in "BURP GUN."

Still missing the CRACK of near misses. The whizzes of spent shot and shrapnel are accurate.

Perhaps the airborne encourage shouting, as in “GERONOMO” and “CURAHEE,” but in K/47, it was frowned upon. Loud talking, belching, and other sounds were not tolerated, because they intended to encourage artillery barrages. If ever we felt short on artillery barrages, we could count on our attached tanks to draw one by starting up their engines to charge their batteries. Guaranteed.

K/47's wounded were also quiet, unlike E/506. The Krauts were also noisy casualties and sometimes more unnerving than shot and shell. The only moaning American I ever encountered was [after his shrapnel wound] in the Meat Wagon on my way back to the Field Hospital;he had a kidney shot out and they couldn't keep him sedated. When we got there, they placed my stretcher in the midst of a bunch of karping krauts, who tried to make me their agent for immediate medical attention.

The private with temporary blindness [Blithe] would, in K/47, be a case for the Medics not philosophers. We needed whole men. If hysteria could make you blind, I would have been blind from the first minute of combat.

The attack on Carentan is done well. It shows the helter-skelter of infantry combat that reduces the Platoon Leader's role to leading them in and rounding them up at the end, i.e., if there is anyone to round-up and the platoon leader is still around.

LOVE, DOD

Edited by appell8, 14 April 2004 - 09:56 PM.

#56 bobwas

bobwas

Sergeant

• Sergeant
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:26 PM

Harry Welsh, an officer who LEADS (thanks to BK for the insight). We see his "Follow Me" spirit when he sprints toward the T intersection in Carentan, not realizing that he is alone but for Luz until they find cover. Then he's the one who grenades the most prominent MG. And that terrific scene wth the jagdpanzer. No wonder Winters likes him, and we see some gentle teasing between them. "Hurts." "War is Hell."

I just have to say (again): Yea, Scrappy Lieu. back on tv!! :D

#57 skypilotson

skypilotson

Major General

• Major General
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:53 PM

Liebgott: we see much of his nasty side later, so it's redeeming to see him cradling Tipper, who later gave Liebgott credit for his survival.

A truly moment beautiful moment. One of my tops of the series.

Thanks for sharing yours and DOD's comments. They are always a pleasure to read......again.

God bless,

Paul

#58 Sgt Eagle

Sgt Eagle

Lions of the Lowlands

• General
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

Great episode , it show the toughness of the battles in and round Carentan .
Just loved it .

Mark W/Belgium

"From this day till the ending of the world,...We in it shall be remembered,...We Band Of Brothers "            Henry V-W.Shakespear

#59 homefront41

homefront41

General

• General
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:43 PM

Just to correct the record ... the post that the last phrase of your statement above refers to was bogus. Someone posted a message on HBO which proved to be nonsense.

However, I can report that Ed Tipper was very interested to hear that some of Joe Liebgott's family appeared at the 2002 Reunion and he took the contact information for Joe's oldest son.

Apart from that, we don't really know anything about Liebgott's and Tipper's interaction in this regard. BK

#60 Quinn

Quinn

Sergeant

• Sergeant
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

Liebgott is a technical corporal or sgt. i am not sure, anyway what was his 'technical' job? Was it translator?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users